Rude people!

I'm new to photography and wondering what are the legal ramifications of taking candid shots of strangers who do not give their consent? Are there any legal ramifications?

I wouldn't consider scowling rude.
If she ahd told you to stick your camera somewhere uncomfortable that might be rude. Who knows whats going on in her life? Maybe her husband just died or something. Be glad that she kept quiet and walked away and get over it. Just as you have the right to ask her if it is ok to photograph her she has the right to refuse.
Don't ask if you aren't prepared to be refused permission.

I was just surprised that she didn't say a word, just scowled, yanked the dog and walked away. When someone says, "your dog is beautiful, would you mind if I take its picture," a simple, "no thank you" would be most appropriate. I guess my parents raised me to be polite and I expect a polite response back. I always ask permission and this was the first time someone didn't reply back, either with a "sure" or a "no thanks". :greenpbl:

My motto is "act first and ask for forgiveness later"

Ronin Vincent, yes - that's a good question. I hope someone with some knowlege will comment on the legal ramifications of shooting strangers. I shot some strangers on the street. Some came out pretty good and may be sold. I was wondering, if while these photos are hanging in the gallery, and one of the subjects walks in and says, "hey, that's me!" And then sues me.

There are lots of rude idiots around ...

I was recently at a festival in town and I saw a woman walking a beautiful border collie. I smiled and asked if she would mind if I took a picture of her dog. She scowled at me, turned around, yanked the dog by the leash and walked away!

Have you ever had something like that happen?

probably she was angry that you thought her dog more worth taking pictures of than herself ;)

Ronin Vincent, yes - that's a good question. I hope someone with some knowlege will comment on the legal ramifications of shooting strangers. I shot some strangers on the street. Some came out pretty good and may be sold. I was wondering, if while these photos are hanging in the gallery, and one of the subjects walks in and says, "hey, that's me!" And then sues me.

I just posted a link to this site in another thread as well, but since it is even more appropriate for this one, I hope no one minds. I was really quite happy to find more than just myself concerned with some of these issues!

This is a downloadable document in non-binding legalese written by a lawyer as a guide to photographers call "Photographer's Rights." It is written around American laws, but should *mostly* apply to the rest of us as well. Hope you find it helpful.

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

Best Regards,

In some places around here you can get slapped or get your ass kicked or your camera destroyed, well specially if this person has some sort of a problem.

In that case use a Russian model or a Nikon F4. Not only you can use it as a shield, but also as self defence (dropping it on the persons foot, or hurling it at him: if you have to get away quickly) anyway, you can't run away with that weight around your neck.:lol::lol::lmao::lmao::greenpbl::greenpbl:

It is an 'art' to getting candids on the street and thier are 'tricks of the trade'.....but to discuss them makes one sound devious or like a stalker.

I do find it much easier to catch candids in a highly distracting area, such as a carnival or festival.

When I see a subject I just HAVE to shoot, I will ask, if I am denied, I thank them and walk away....I won't try to steal the shot anyway.

I hit about 50/50 on responses to my requests....

Most reactions

Back