Rugged 7D -- Survived Antarctica

But it is possible to tell the difference. MTF's are a lot like financial charts....many people cannot read them, so they don't mean squat to them. A bad lens has a bad MTF chart. Fact. A superb lens has a superb chart.

The thing is, all of the really high-end lenses, especially the prime super-telephotos are superb lenses. And have been for years. VR and Nano Crystal technology are the two newest advances in decades.

You want us to believe the 85mm f/1.2-L is an exceptional lens, so let's compare its MTF graph with the $400 85/1.8

EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Standard & Medium Telephoto - Medium Telephoto Lens - EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM - Canon USA Consumer Products

85 1.2-L

EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Standard & Medium Telephoto - Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens - EF 85mm f/1.8 USM - Canon USA Consumer Products

85 1.8

Uh, looks like the 85/1.2-L is actually the better lens....the chart shows it. I have no more interest in this thread. See ya'll.

I would love to see Nikon D3s and D300s go through this and see how they stack up!!!

Could a customer ever tell me what lens or even what brand of camera I was shooting with? Not a f-ing chance.......
Let's hope you never have Derrel for a customer, he claims to be able to identify Canon equipment from press photos. :D

:hug::

Could a customer ever tell me what lens or even what brand of camera I was shooting with? Not a f-ing chance.......
Let's hope you never have Derrel for a customer, he claims to be able to identify Canon equipment from press photos. :D

:hug::
Yet we're still sitting here arguing which brand of camera are better or lens are better. Man, let's move to the freaking flashes already, how about those sb-900!! :). Point is, there some truth to all of this crap but at the end of the day, it's the photographer that count. My 2 cent for the week :)

Mr. Logic, and anybody else who's still reading this!

Nikon | Imaging Products | AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED
This is the MTF graph for the 200mm f/2 which I own, and which is I would say without reservation THE single best lens I have ever used. Ever. It has a superb MTF function,and the quality of the lens performance at f/2 exceeds the performance of the 70-200 VR, first version at f/2.8. It focuses faster and more reliably, and the resolution and contrast are flat out amazing. Look at the MTF graph.

Nikon | Imaging Products | AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR
This is the MTF graph for the 600 VR; it is nearly "off the charts". It is almost not possible to make a better lens. Its optical performance is actually higher than the 200mm f/2; being two full f/stops slower AND priced very high also makes that possible to do. At a very high price, it is possible to manufacture a lens that has very few, if any, design constraints or optical limitations imposed upon it by end-user price limitations.

Nikkor Lens Assessment by Thom Hogan
Looking in the section under Exotics are some good comments on the lens in question, plus practical considerations among six exotic Nikkors. He rates the 600/4 VR's optical performance as stellar.

Look at Nikon Imaging's MTF graphs for the 200-400VR you own and you can see the loss of edge quality, especially at the short end; then, compare the MTF graphs of the 200-400 with those of the 200 VR and the 600 VR, and I think it'll be clear--the new Nikon 600VR is a superb lens. One that would probably survive a trip to Antarctica!:lol:

Thanks, Derrel. Interestingly enough, Thom ranks the 200 f/2 VR ahead of the 600 f/4 VR (in terms of IQ), even though the latter has the clearly superior MTF graph.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back