"Ruined"/blurry shots that still work? A favorite shot of mine...

ChrisOquist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.aperculture.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been thinking about this photograph since the moment I took it and glanced at the LCD screen. It was getting dark, and I was wandering around Yangshuo, a village in the Gaungxi province of China while my girlfriend took a nap at our hostel. Tryng to find my way back through the streets, I glanced back and caught a glimpse of this girl on a scooter behind me. I was struck by her face, pulled the lens cap off my camera, and snapped this one shot before she passed me. I knew I hadn't really been ready for it but was still horrified when I saw how blurry it was - the camera settings were all way off.

It's under-exposed, blurry, and should probably be framed a lot lower, but I really, really like it. The ephemeralness of it is growing on me. In a way, it reminds me of many photojournalistic images I've seen - and I guess that makes sense - I had only a second to frame the shot and focus before I pressed the shutter, and whatever I was left with as a resulting image is the only capture there is of that moment in time. I even like how low she is in the picture - it adds to the fleeting quality of it.

It's very pleasing to me, which some might say is all that matters - but I'm curious. Is it aesthetically pleasing to others? Is it a "good" photograph or do I just like it because I do, or because it moves me in some way? I'd love some input.

I'd also be curious to hear what people think in general of whether or not images that are technically "flawed" in some way can still be powerful photographs. Do any of you have pictures like this, that you didn't quite get right but still really feel strongly about?

n20803585_31025050_8499.jpg

Yes, I know exactly what you're talking about....but I can't find them lol. Ill post them as soon as I find them.

i def have shots like this too, whenever i do, i convert to B/W or desat the color a lil bit.. always turns out well

Here's mine, on my son's first birthday. Love the shot because it shows him in action, despite it not being a perfect shot.

IMG_1853.jpg

Most reactions

Back