Rule Breaker | A Sunset

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went out to dinner with my family this evening--grabbed some sandwiches and sat at one of our favorite beaches. After I ate, I decided to grab my camera and explore a bit. I found this old sign on the rocks, and as the sun set I found the right composition and shot away. I only shot about 6 exposures, as they were all long exposures, but I am really pleased with the results. I was trying to figure out what my next filter purchase would be, and tonight sealed the deal. Set of 3 hard edged GND's!

Nikon D800
Nikon 16-35 f4 VRII
Lee Little Stopper
Lee 0.6 GND Soft
Hi-Tech 0.6 Reverse GND Hard
Natural light

Rule Breaker by f_one_eight, on Flickr

And the instagram shot. I swear I wasn't on the rocks. All three legs were in the water....mostly touching rock...
I swear I was in the water: not on the rocks. by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Cheers!
Jake

I came soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo close to pulling the trigger on a Lee Big Stopper today! I don't know how in the world I talked myself out of it! Nice photo!

I came soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo close to pulling the trigger on a Lee Big Stopper today! I don't know how in the world I talked myself out of it! Nice photo!

I don't know either! I love both the big and the little, but I find myself using the little more than the big (I do more sunsets than midday shots, really). Thanks for the kind words!

Jake

P.S., go buy one. You won't regret it. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I've been looking at them. What all do I need? The foubdation kit, a step down ring, and whatever individual filters I want?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4; probably while slacking off at work

So I've been looking at them. What all do I need? The foubdation kit, a step down ring, and whatever individual filters I want?

Yeah. So my first foray into filters was this: 77mm wide angle adapter ring. Foundation kit. Set of three (0.3, 0.6, 0.9) GND's soft. That got me started, and then I added the big stopper. Then the reverse GND for sunsets. Then the little stopper. Next are the set of three hard edged GND's. Then a circular polarizer. Then maybe a 3 stop reverse GND. Then a set of three ND's. I'll have more filters than brain cells!!! Mwuahahaha.

Jake

Yeah. So my first foray into filters was this: 77mm wide angle adapter ring. Foundation kit. Set of three (0.3, 0.6, 0.9) GND's soft. That got me started, and then I added the big stopper. Then the reverse GND for sunsets. Then the little stopper. Next are the set of three hard edged GND's. Then a circular polarizer. Then maybe a 3 stop reverse GND. Then a set of three ND's. I'll have more filters than brain cells!!! Mwuahahaha.

Jake

Oh behave!!

il_fullxfull.378020134_abpj2-4445.jpg

Jake

Oh behave!!

il_fullxfull.378020134_abpj2-4445.jpg

Nevah!

Jake
Thanks- that helps.

Jake
Thanks- that helps.

Any time!

I love the two tones, how it goes from the pinkish purple to blues, very nice. And you posed the sign perfectly in here.

I hate to keep sharing, but a lot of your stories and photos reminds me of myself.

From 2008

Florida Sunset by Sean Scarmack / 500px

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

-Kay (Men in Black)

I love the two tones, how it goes from the pinkish purple to blues, very nice. And you posed the sign perfectly in here.

I hate to keep sharing, but a lot of your stories and photos reminds me of myself.

From 2008

Florida Sunset by Sean Scarmack / 500px

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

-Kay (Men in Black)

Yeah I think the sign really brought it all together here. And as a scientist I can't wait to know what we'll learn tomorrow.

Most reactions

Back