Rule of 3rds

The 'Rule of Thirds' is only one of a number of approaches to picture composition and structure. It can be used on it's own or in combination with others.
The main use for the Rule of Thirds is to produce images that feel 'balanced' and therefore give the feeling of calm.
This 'Rule' is talked about a lot because it's just about the only compositional tool people have ever heard of.
If you divide an image into 3 verticaly and horizontaly you are supposed to put the main focus of your image on an intersection - or dividers such as the horizon line along one of the thirds.
In practice, if you put the horizon - or major object - anywhere off-centre people immediately claim you are using the "Rule of Thirds'. This is because they have no knowledge of composition beyond this 'Rule' and 'near enough is good enough'.
In terms of image analysis it is overworked and given far more importance than it actually deserves. The number of times I have heard people say 'it's almost on one of the intersections so he must be using the Rule of Thirds'....
If you have a look at painting you will find that great artists don't use it much at all.
Try asking your lecturer what other 'Rules' of composition there are. There are at least a dozen. See if he/she knows any of them ;-)

I use it only rarely, I generall dont think about it, but I think now im sooo used to it I dont need to think about it, it just happens...D70's have a tool to draw the grid lines on the...thingy...you look through...:)

i use this sometimes, my 5100 draws the grid as well on the LCD and i use it sometimes, although i find for a lot of composition it is terrible and soemthnig completely different is needed,
if people say its close so it must be, dosent that mean EVERY shot uses it, there are enough intersections that focal point would be near one

What are some fo the other composition 'rules'

The rule of thirds isn't a rule like you either use it or you dont. It's more that when composing your photo, it creates a more balanced and appealing image. After a while you shouldn't need to consciosly think about it, it should just come naturaly when composing your shot. It doesnt mean either that if everyhting is on 1/3 you will have a succesful shot, or that if you don't use 1/3 you will have a poor shoot, it depends entirely on how you want to make the photo look and feel.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back