Rule Of Thirds For Group 1 C&C

Skedaddle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are my Rule of Thirds photos for C&C. I just took them this morning because the weather and lighting seemed so nice.

(1)

EXIF
Exposure Time - 1/160 sec
Shutter Speed - 1/159 sec
F-Stop - f/3.20
Focal Length - 6.00mm

3597280717_68a90ba0b7.jpg

(2)
EXIF
Exposure Time - 1/200 sec
Shutter Speed - 1/202 sec
F-Stop - f/3.20
Focal Length - 6.00mm

3598088774_80f49ea209.jpg

(3) Is the red seat in the background distracting? I also just noticed that a piece of wood is going through the back of his head, does it ruin the photo?
EXIF
Exposure Time - 1/1250 sec
Shutter Speed - 1/1244 sec
F-Stop - f/3.50
Focal Length - 45.20 mm

3598089132_876f4480c8.jpg

Pic #1 : Lovely picture. I like how your lines are all leading the eyes from left to right. It is very pleasing. The focus and DOF are good for this shot. My only thought is to crank up the saturation a bit. The green seems a little flat. It could be my stupid laptop monitor though...come to think of it.

Pic #2 : This one doesn't do as much for me. I don't care to see dirt in a flower picture. I don' t know why since it is perfectly natural for a flower to be in dirt! Other than that, the flower looks nice to me. The flower is framed well using the rule of thirds. Your focus and DOF, again, look good.

Pic #3: This is a really great shot of your cat. Your focus is tack-sharp. The lighting is gorgeous. He looks beautiful. BUMMER that you have the red chair in the background and the wood sticking out of his head. It really does detract from the overall image. I hate when that happens!!!

Great work again. When will your Rebel arrive?

Thanks linpelk. :) I should have it between Monday or Thursday next week. I'm really looking forward to using it.

The flower in the second photo is in a pot and the overall plant is not very big yet. Hence the extra dirt around it.

I'm going to see if I can remove the wood sticking out of the cat's head and try to make the seat less noticable.

The green in the first photo is a little yellow. I'll take it into PS and fix that. :)

Anyone else?

Last edited:
#1 is my favorite of the group. I personally don't think you need to touch the saturation, but play with it and prove me wrong. I'd would mind comparing. As far as (strictly) following the rule of thirds, I don't think this does. While the main leaf falls on a thirds division, your focus is centrally located. Great shot (!), but not a great example of the rule.

#2 follows the RoT's better, but too, this pic isn't very exciting.

#3 aside from your own observation (red&wood), this doesn't follow the RoT's either. The cat's eyes, which tend to grab focus, are just off center. The bigger issue I have is the grass/dirt line strongly dividing the image in half.

Thanks for the comments. The 3rd photo would have followed the rule better if I cropped it more and I can see how the flower isn't very interesting. I am pleased with how the first photo turned out but I see how it doesn't strictly follow the rule.

Don't get me wrong, I love the first image. A Lot!

I like the first one. The second one doesn't really do anything for me either. And as for the last one, I love it! I noticed the red bench, but it wasn't THAT distracting. The sharpness of the cat dominates the photo enough, I think. And I didn't even notice the wood coming out of the cat's head until you mentioned it. Overall, very nice! I need to work on the rule of 3s myself.

i love the first one and the last. nice detail in the first.
the last one i like that it has open space for the cat to look through

Most reactions

Back