Rule of thirds help

Why don't you try this as an experiment:

Find some pictures that you really like, or that you're trying to emulate. Print that picture out and draw lines on it to divide it in to thirds vertically and horizontally, like kundalini and Bus_Rider did above. Take note of what's going on along those lines, as well as where they intersect.

You'll probably notice that landscapes tend to have the horizon on or near one of the lines, and that in portraiture the subject's eyes will be on or near one of the lines or intersections.

Also remember that the rule is NOT a rule; but a guideline. There are lots of times that centering a subject is fine. At the end of the day, good composition is what looks good to you, regardless of what I or anyone else might say.

I haven't read anything else in this thread besides the first two posts, but I wanted to quote this for emphasis. If you learn one thing about the supposed rule of thirds, it should be that it is NOT a rule.

EDIT: I read this and HAD to comment.

Study diligently everything you can about the rule of thirds and other composition criteria and then toss it all aside and don't worry about it at all.

O Rly?

I'm about as anti-RoT (or at least teaching it as a rule) as anyone. But I would never say to toss it aside. There's a reason why the supposed rules of composition are taught. It's because in most cases, they work. You need to know them, not toss them aside. The most important thing about them is to learn when not to use them. If I never learned good composition, and just made the picture look good in the viewfinder, I would still be taking snapshots.

Most reactions

Back