Rule of Thirds

arkuro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been reading a lot a posts about ROT.. but I still dont get it.. Can anyone post an example of a picture following ROT and not following ROT.. will be really helpful to beginners.

Regards
Arun

http://images.absoluteastronomy.com/images/encyclopediaimages/r/ri/rivertree_thirds_md.gif Check out this pic. See how the tree lines up to the right of the image leaving more room for the rest of the picture...makes it a little easier to view without really thinking about it.
Now look at this one...which ends up explaining everything. Google Image Result for http://www.mikeatkinson.net/tutorial-images/t6/15-Rule-of-thirds-not-always-applicable.jpg sorry for the extended link. But you'll see how the position of the subject changes the photograph dramatically.

Yeah, use google. I mean, why come to a photography forum when you could just search the web? In fact, maybe they should just shut down the forum and we'll all meet over at google. I mean, nothing posted on this site can't be found somewhere else anyway.

Come on guys, if you don't want to answer newbie questions, then don't come in the beginner's section and click on threads titled "rule of thirds".

To answer your question (although allen already did, I guess), the rule of thirds is pretty simple. Divide your scene up into thirds both horizontally and vertically. In most cases, you don't want your focal point to be in either of the center thirds (the horizontal one nor the vertical one). Of course rules are made to be broken, so don't think this rule is concrete. There are cases where centered works.

Yeah, use google. I mean, why come to a photography forum when you could just search the web? In fact, maybe they should just shut down the forum and we'll all meet over at google. I mean, nothing posted on this site can't be found somewhere else anyway.

Come on guys, if you don't want to answer newbie questions, then don't come in the beginner's section and click on threads titled "rule of thirds".

To answer your question (although allen already did, I guess), the rule of thirds is pretty simple. Divide your scene up into thirds both horizontally and vertically. In most cases, you don't want your focal point to be in either of the center thirds (the horizontal one nor the vertical one). Of course rules are made to be broken, so don't think this rule is concrete. There are cases where centered works.

Uh, "I have been reading a lot a posts about ROT.." he already read lots of posts on the subject, the thing he requested could've been found faster on google than starting the thread. I did so myself, and even supplied a link with an answer worded better than I could've. What's the problem?

he he.. the point was not to make you guys fight about sumthing.. but watever.. I got what I wanted.. thanks a lot people.. and to be honest.. when I wanted to take a picture with my grid lines on .. I remembered that I have to avoid ROT .. but how.. that I didnot get.. thats why I asked the question.. :)

Hi arkuro,

Rule of Thirds is incredibly simple...

It simply means do not put the subject in the middle of the frame..............put the subject 1/3 of the way from any edge.

(Once you get that down, come back and we'll discuss "Golden Triangle", "The Nautilus Spiral", Exceptions, and Shadows for Framing.)

thanks a lot guys.. i was out of touch .. was busy with the work..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back