Rules for Shooting Sports - Indoor

bemmermazda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, the indoor season is here and i am once again faced with low light gymnasium lighting. For the local newspaper and school i am responsible for shooting basketball, wrestling and various other indoor fundraisers/ events. I cannot afford fast lenses and closets i have is a 50mm 1.8. So my question is, can i use my sb-600 for basketball and sporting events in general? I fear that it may distract the players.

I'd white balance the camera to the room as much as possible. The flash would be distracting as well as pointless unless you're right up on the action. If you absolutely have to use a flash, bounce it or turn it backwards (I know this sounds strange, but it works). Try without tho.

If you can... go shoot some practices and feel the situation out.

the 50 should work without extra light...
But you have to be pretty darn close.
Like, right under the net off to the side, and you'll be able to shoot em in the key for basketball...
wrestlin you shouldn't have too much trouble, cause their playing area is much smaller.

I once shot basketball with a pocket camera and available light. If you are under the net then the action is toward you and therefore a slower shutter speed is possible. Penalty shots are easy to frame and shoot and timing is necessary to get a player at the top of his jump toward the net or for the ball. A throw in from out of the court is also a shooting possibility for a slower shutterspeed.

Colour balance in gyms varies considerably. The most difficult I find to deal with is the green from some fluorescents. Setting the camera for the right colour temperature may be necessary before you start shooting.

skieur

Of all the settings, thats the easiest! Shoot RAW and WB auto. You can change it to whatever you want while PPing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back