Rules on street photography

You're totally right Skieur. Bend it however you want.

You're totally right Skieur. Bend it however you want.

I don't need to bend anything. You have not quoted any law in Montana that says that the photographer does not own the rights to his work, whether taken on private property or not....Of course you can't, because no such thing exists.:lol:

skieur

blah blah blah...

As it fits into the thread:

Ming Thein about Street Photography: What is street photography?

Oh, and I would like to add that I think his photographs in that article are just amazing.

Last edited:
skieur said:
I don't need to bend anything. You have not quoted any law in Montana that says that the photographer does not own the rights to his work, whether taken on private property or not....Of course you can't, because no such thing exists.:lol:

skieur

I say **** the law just shoot until you get stopped

I say **** the law just shoot until you get stopped

That is what I am living by at the moment, but in Japan if I am stopped:spank: I am going to lose everything, because the police take everything as evidence, cameras, PC, SD Cards, CDs anything media related is taken and if found guilty of breaking privacy laws you will not get any of it back!

Murasaki said:
That is what I am living by at the moment, but in Japan if I am stopped:spank: I am going to lose everything, because the police take everything as evidence, cameras, PC, SD Cards, CDs anything media related is taken and if found guilty of breaking privacy laws you will not get any of it back!

You didn't mention film so im ok ha ha

If your standing in a public place, you can photograph anything or anyone you can capture with your camera. Even the police beating a suspect.

And I don't believe that you need to get any model releases signed by anyone, unless you're going to sell the photo, and make money on it. Or use
it in anyway that suggests they are endorsing something/someone.

Here is a PDF document link that explains what right you as a photographer has. click this> ... Download The Photographer’s Right in PDF format

I'm pretty sure you only need a release for only certain types of sale; so-called "commercial" work, not editorial. Obviously you don't need the police's release to sell a photo of them beating a guy.

KMH has also pointed out in the past that it's the company who uses the image that is typical liable, not the photographer, as they are the ones using the image for endorsement.

My example on this is that it's legal to say "Magcapmag was at the parade drinking a coke" without his permission. It's not legal to say "Drink Coke: Magcapmag does!" without his permission.

I'm pretty sure you only need a release for only certain types of sale; so-called "commercial" work, not editorial. Obviously you don't need the police's release to sell a photo of them beating a guy.

KMH has also pointed out in the past that it's the company who uses the image that is typical liable, not the photographer, as they are the ones using the image for endorsement.

My example on this is that it's legal to say "Magcapmag was at the parade drinking a coke" without his permission. It's not legal to say "Drink Coke: Magcapmag does!" without his permission.

Gee, now your are parotting my view originally expressed much further back. Why all the dumb aggressive and negative responses previously?

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back