Rules Regarding Sharing Instagram Photos from somebody else

Ben1989

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I follow an account in Instagram which contain photos that are edited to give great effects. What are the rules regarding sharing his photos on here (to ask for advice to achieve the same)? I would reference his account username and give full credit and reference.

Or is it strictly no photos from elsewhere? Even considering it's on a public social media network.

I don't want to cause offence or put moderators in a tricky position.

Cheers everyone, Ben

Just post a link to them and you're golden.

Links are good. The issue isn't whether you are offending someone, but rather copyright laws.

Last edited:
As the others said, posting links is the way to go.

The rule is in force to primarily help ensure that there is no ambiguity as to what uses are posting as embedded photos or uploads to the site; so that when people see photos on the site posted by a person they are also taken by that person.
It is also part of showing respect to other photographers and their copyright so that their works are not repeat posted around then net.

The rule is somewhat relaxed at times when meme style photos are posted within certain threads (often/generally things in off-topic). In this instance the popularity and sharing of such images tends to mean that they are thrown around the net a lot and thus even finding the original source is a challenge. This is an area of moderator discretion so it is no guarantee. It's also generally allowed as its small scale and when done very clear that they are not the users photos being shown.

What makes you think we would be interested in the photos?

Thanks everyone. I'll link his work

Most reactions

Back