Ruling Out Butterflys (C&C)

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For this weeks Group 1 C&C, we were asked to focus :)lmao:) on the Rule of Thirds. Here is what I composed:

Shutter: 1/13
Aperture: F5.6
Metering: Evaluative
Exposure Comp:-1
ISO: 100
Lens: 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
1).
3579391047_6275c157bc_o.jpg

The focus here is on the body and wing, which falls at the cross point of the lower, and right division. I am quite pleased with the color composition (on all three pics here).

Shutter: 1/1250
Aperture: F5.6
Lens: 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
2).
3580201996_1eacfa28b6_o.jpg

At first I was going for a horizontal crop, but I just didn't like the empty space that would have been in the center. I felt it would just let you leave the picture. The little bits of leaves at the bottom should be enough to help lead your eyes around. The focus is in the "golden section" or the upper right corner, at the intersection of the top and right division into thirds. I am very, very happy with this image.

Shutter: 1/3200
Aperture: F1.8
Lens: 50mm
3).
3580096592_bd5ca7fda0_o.jpg

Now I know "sharp as a tac". ;) I was really looking at the background when thinking about how to frame up these Iris buds. I searched over several mound of Irises, for the best subject, and saw the purple Salvia in the background and knew where I had to frame it. It really makes that bud pop! Following the rule of thirds, I have the focus near the upper left intersection. The purple also carries you across the upper division. To me that little bit of curving blacknes is just enough to bring you down to follow the yellow green in the back, and you come down and catch the central leaf.

So, what do you think? What do you see that I don't? C'mon, be super critical. You will only make me grow stronger!

Thanks for your time,
David

I really like the first one. I like the way the butterfly is framed by the grass. The second one is ok, but the butterfly seems too dark. The third photo is nice too. I like the colors alot. The background really looks good with the flower.

LOVE the first one. The focus seems spot on, the turquoise in the background is an awesome contrast to the orange in the wings. Beautiful. Rule of thirds is used perfectly in my opinion!

I don't really like the second one... first, the background is too light and the butterfly too dark. The exposure just doesn't seem right. I don't know how you could fix it either. As far as the rule of thirds, I think I would have placed the butterfly in the lower left versus the upper right. Maybe with the illusion of the butterfly flying toward the upper right. Just not a fan of it.

Number 3 is good as well, though I have a couple of comments. Love the yellow and green and you're right, the purple is a great contrast to the yellow and green. My issue is the black at the top. I feel like it puts a damper on the picture. Just my opinion though!

Love your pictures. That first one is amazing. I can't believe you managed to get a crisp image with a SS of 1/13. That butterfly must have been posing for you. The colors are wonderful, the surrounding leaves provide leading lines which are very pleasant.

Pic #2, I loved what you were doing, but I have to agree with sjluto..it seems like the butterfly should be in the lower part of the frame to give it room to fly away. Also would have been nice if there was a more direct light shining onto the butterfly, but this probably isn't a pet you have laying around and you most likely didn't have a lot of time to set up your portable studio :)

Pic #3 once again has great colors that are comfortable and soothing. I love how the lines are uniform and lead your eye upwards. I don't mind the black at the top, but I would have liked to see the iris in tack-sharp focus to the very tip. It loses me a bit where it becomes soft at the top. I know that you need that f/1.8 to get the background as blurred as you have it, but maybe if the focal point would have been directed more towards the tip, it would have felt better to me. Just my opinion though.

Get work, as always!

Interesting points have been brought up.

Rather than defend my choices, I will try to simply explain them.
I also have an admission. I absolutely loved that first pic. Unfortunately it was pretty out of focus. All of it. I had to pretty severely, carefully, and creatively try to sharpen the wings and body. Linda was on to something. At F13, and the distance I was shooting, would the depth of field be that narrow? Wouldn't at least part of the legs and the antenae be in focus too? How about the leaf the butterfly is on? If you look carefully, you will see the only sharpness was the body and wing. I was curious if anyone would catch that. [edit: 1/13 was the shutter speed, but still...F5.6 at that distance would still have more depth of field.]

On the second pic, the butterfly could be lightened a bit, I agree.
The decision to put the butterfly where it is, lies in the direction the wings are opened and other lines I had to work with. The overall wing shape opens towards a diagonal line leading up and left, which leads to a diagonal down and left, then the vertical branch. Your eyes follow many things including line, color, pattern and shape. The two bits of leaf at the bottom catch your eye before with a reapeated shape and color and should bring you back up.

To put that butterfly in the lower left, you have a butterfly leaning left, on a angled line leaning left, and the branch that the flowers are on, which the subject sits, also is angled left. To me this is rather directional, off the image to the left. Using the Rule of Thirds, it is acceptable to put your subject at any of the line interesctions, but then you have to take into account every other aspect of the composition you can use to lead the viewers eye around and find which one works best.

I also have information about the pic that you don't have. Like the leaves on the right, off the image are very dense. The butterfly just gets lost in a sea of similar dark shapes. I went with the light and airy look. Stephanie, I have to agree with you, I think the exposure is odd. A little underexposed, maybe 1/3 of a stop?

On #3, Steph, that's one of the things I really like about the pic, the black damper. I like the ominous overhanging unknown, as it drips down the right side. I also love the yellow breaking through into that darkness. And I agree with Linda, a tac sharp tip would have accentuated that.

Last edited:
well i will just point out why i like the rule of thirds on these. in the first one, the butterfly is nicely framed by the grass but mind you, the picture is a little soft... maybe camera shake? or maybe the colors on the wings trick my eyes.

the second one: seems to me like the butterfly is holding on to the plant trying not to fall in the empty space below him. the pic is a little dark.

the last one is my favorite, i think that by placing the subject there you accentuate that it is slim and tall. i like it :)

good job bitter

This from before I was around........I likie the first one lots!!

I'm stalking everyone's archive!!!

More to come!!!

Most reactions

Back