Running out of room in my camera bag

VADER1775

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When filling your camera bag, do you keep the individual pouches for each item, or not. For example, do you put the flash in he pouch, then into the bag, or leave the pouches at home?
Thanks

If your to the point of having to decide on whether to keep the pouches or not. I think its time to get a new bag, or second bag. You don't want it so tight that everything keeps smacking together inside. I don't keep the pouches on anything in my bag. I don't like taking the time to keep taking them in and out of the pouches. But each thing has own padded compartment. The only exception is the 4 filters that I carry. They are B&W and came with the hard plastic cases. I have yet to break one of them. I have broken several filters using just a filter pouch though.

I leave the pouces at home - though it depends what item it is. For lenses, flashes can cameras pouches stay at home, there is just no point in keeping them in a bag in a bag. A good quality camera bag should keep items secure and safe.
For things like filters and memory cards they do stay in their pouches (the filters in their harder cases) for protection. Last thing I want is a scratched filter.

If you are worried about changing gear in a more risky environment like rain, and that in opening your bag your kit will get wet then look to getting something like a poncho to cover yourself and the bag when changing gear - also a small fabric bag is often used by people in very sandy and windy environments to allow them to change lenses inside the bag without sand getting into the camera and lens

Thanks for the input, it is a big help. I have been keeping the bags in the bag, and it wastes a lot of time and space. I think if i get rid of the pouches I can find a little more space. After that I will need a new bag.
Thanks again.

The only one I keep is the one for my flash, but it's in the compartment with the tripod foot of the 70-200 f/2.8L IS up against it and the pouch for that also holds a cold shoe foot stand.

I have two bags though and I'm thinking on buying two more and a case for my monolights. I definitely need another for light stands and I should have a new camera here this month. I'm probably buying another lens as well. I have my main bag, which holds a metric ton of crap and a secondary for extra flashes, cables, cords, and pocket wizards. I'm going to need the last bag for my backup body. It'll probably go in a corner though.

So if you need more space after the fact of removing pouches and such, just buy a bigger one and keep the current as a filler for overflow equipment. Also, if you have a bag with the velcro dividers, try rearrange them. I did that in my Crumpler 7MDH shoulder bag and could fit even more crap in there.

I don't keep anything in pouches - except SD cards, Filters etc.. Lenses, flash, body etc. all have their own padded compartments. Takes too long to take things out of pouches, and almost impossible to swap lenses, put on flash etc., without a table if things are in pouches. I like to be able to do any swaps standing anywhere in <1min.

Filters and memory cards for sure. I also keep the SB-800 in its pouch because it has "parts" and it's easier to keep it all together......... damn, where did I put the diffuser? :meh: If I carry the SB-600 at the same time, since there is no more room at the inn, I just loop it through my belt.

I keep the flashes in their bags cause they are in part of my backpack that doesn't have compartments, but the lenses are in the bottom and have their own padded "compartments". I used to put them in their own bag as well, but it got rediculous trying to access my lenses.

agree. Nothing but the filters and card stay in their pouches. I'm at the point of my bag that I have to keep my flash in it's pouch too because I am simply out of room in this, my second bag. I do not want to have to get a bigger one, this one is heavy enough as it is and a bigger one is just going to make me fall over! So I use the first bag as overflow.

I keep mine in their pouches, just in case I want to put one on my belt. Plus as mentioned the flash case holds all its contents better than just having them fall around in the bag.

Most reactions

Back