Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Rural hospital in northern Laos.
Healthcare in Laos is terrible by any standards, however well meaning the doctors.
Any seriously ill tourist, and well-off Lao, should get evacuated to Thailand, no easy task considering the roads.
Anyone who travels there without good medical evacuation insurance is asking for trouble.

hospital - luang namtha_DSC0254-Edit.jpg

On the positive side, this hospital is not too overcrowded.( Insert your cynical joke here :biggrin-93:) That is a rarity in UK.

hospital-doctor - luang namtha_DSC0253-Edit.jpg
On the positive side, this hospital is not too overcrowded.( Insert your cynical joke here :biggrin-93:) That is a rarity in UK.

Would you be interested in prolonging your stay here? :05.18-flustered:

On a more serious note, 75% of all Lao work in agriculture and my guess there isn't any such thing as sick leave so, no working, no pay.
We ran into the doctor from this clinic, an obviously intelligent, charming woman and I snapped one of her.
She went to medical school in Luang Prabang with the intent of coming back here to the north and running a clinic. It seems that the government run clinics, like this is, practice as much as possible western style medicine, while the independent clinics in the far north near China often practice a mix of western and oriental medicine.

Last edited:
These are great, Lew! It's like having a TPF "NatGeo" link!

i like the colors. Deep, muted. Dunno. just like the coloring.

There is nothing like diffused, reflected light for those deep rich tones.
That, and a nicely sharp lens will make lovely shots.
This was ISO 2000, EC -3

Most reactions

Back