Russian Mother Takes Magical Pictures of Her Two Kids With Animals On Her Farm

I would like to see a shot before all the photoshop work, does nothing for me over processed

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

The ones that the background looks as if it was photoshopped in just seem like pictures of anyone's kids - in front of scenery that's really someplace else. At least I hope she isn't putting that toddler in/near that size lake... I guess for me if it doesn't seem believable then I find myself thinking more about the photoshopping than the picture (such as thinking the size of the child and the background don't make sense being in the same picture together).

edit - And taking another look, some of the kids and pets seem to be backlit but the background looks like it's dark and foggy, where's a light source? Notice the area around the dark jacket of the kid with the shovel and the cat, it appears to have been edited. I think there appears to be some external lighting in some of these, at least I can't figure out an existing light source in some.

Last edited:
I would like to see a shot before all the photoshop work, does nothing for me over processed

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Well, it's digital photography but excellent is excellent - you can't argue that she knows what she is doing. ;) She has a terrific eye for composition and uses natural light beautifully - allowing her to process these into something really special. I didn't see a single one that looked over processed. Film or digital - you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, so she had good images to work with.

If we all shot the same way it'd be a boring old world. :)

What was old is NEW again!

Pictorialism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've always enjoyed pictorialism in photography. AA and his f/64 group went out of their way to quash it. Thank god they are all long dead and rotted, so people with some actual ideas besides a few Zone System numbers can hold some sway. This Russian artist has a flair for the pictorial, but it takes an artist's eye to appreciate it, and today we have mostly technicians.

glad to see it

Yeah, I saw these yesterday as well. Just beautiful work. As Derrel says she really seems to have an eye for the pictorial; this statement from the Wikipedia article struck me--"For the pictorialist, a photograph, like a painting, drawing or engraving, was a way of projecting an emotional intent into the viewer's realm of imagination"--because that's exactly what she's done, imo.
Her photos stir my own creative juices--I could write a short story about nearly every one of those photos.

I wonder how much processing she does, There was a similar comment about the before picture vs after. This would be interesting to see what exactly goes into photos like this.

That's some seriously amazing imagery and the demonstration of skills with lighting is sorta jaw-dropping.

No "in mother Russia" jokes?

Most reactions

Back