Russian Mother Takes Magical Pictures of Her Two Kids With Animals On Her Farm

I'd love to see her do a video on her post processing, beautiful pictures with amazing processing.

Impressive ! This "Russian Mother" is a full fledged professional with extensive art and digital photography training. She is not average Russian mother. :lol: She is great digital artist, someone to watch in the near future.

Impressive ! This "Russian Mother" is a full fledged professional with extensive art and digital photography training. She is not average Russian mother. :lol: She is great digital artist, someone to watch in the near future.

I read that as well but supposedly she has been only doing photography for about a year.

I read that as well but supposedly she has been only doing photography for about a year.
Do you know, that in Russia to qualify as an artist (on this level) you have to have full education and certification ? So, this is one year out of school. Or is this one year with professional DSLR.

I really like her work.

One year with DSLR
Notice her seamless use of fill in flash. Most of the shots are made against the sun, yet her shadows are well exposed. This is systematic. The magic of this pictures lays in bright "corona" around subjects. It's perfect, perfect for mood setting. Observe the situation also, most shots have nostalgic mood, this kid never smiles. She is very good in observation, but also may be a master of creating sets.

One year with DSLR
Notice her seamless use of fill in flash. Most of the shots are made against the sun, yet her shadows are well exposed. This is systematic. The magic of this pictures lays in bright "corona" around subjects. It's perfect, perfect for mood setting. Observe the situation also, most shots have nostalgic mood, this kid never smiles. She is very good in observation, but also may be a master of creating sets.

I doubt that's fill flash. As she states she prefers natural light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkllexdd xlx

beautiful work!

...although something people forget is how DOF works.

some of these are very obviously photoshopped, beautiful none the less.

I don't disagree, yet there is a few shots with sun in the frame. You know, how ends this.
Nevertheless here is her larger portfolio:
500px / Elena Shumilova / Photos
There is a lot to learn from her. And hey ! Mothers of America ! Anyone willing to pick up the challenge ? :band:

I don't disagree, yet there is a few shots with sun in the frame. You know, how ends this.
Nevertheless here is her larger portfolio:
500px / Elena Shumilova / Photos
There is a lot to learn from her. And hey ! Mothers of America ! Anyone willing to pick up the challenge ? :band:

Well I looked at a bunch of her exif data on Flickr and saw no signs of flash. She shoots wide open. With fast shutter speeds. Also her photos are in flickr groups such as "natural light photography"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkllexdd xlx

Last edited:
I'd gotten the impression the photographer was doing photos with existing light but re-reading it she says she likes that but doesn't say she uses available light only. There must be another external light source in some of these; look at the ones with the kid on the sled - there's a shadow along the dog's leg that shows a light source being to the subjects' right front (viewer's left), then in the other sled photo it looks like there's light coming from the boy's left (viewer's right).

In the photo with the boy looking at the lake there's a reflection of a sky that shows clouds and the sun peeking through, but the sky reflected just isn't there in that photo... the background seems dark and the building across the lake has lights showing as if it's getting dark. If you look at the treeline there are no clouds just above the tree, but the skyline reflected has white clouds just above the treeline (upside down of course in the reflection).

It might have been more clear if the article said that the photographer uses existing light and external light, does photos and composites etc.

Most reactions

Back