Sacramento's Homeless "Tent City"

Hooligan Dan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Some of you might have heard through Oprah, CNN, or one of the national news places that a tent city in Sacramento is growing rapidly. it's been there for a while, but it's increasing in occupants every day. So I went there today in hopes of finding a person from our town to do a story on for the paper. No luck there, but I did take some shots for myself anyway. I'm going to go back next week during the evening in hopes of getting some better light and more people. At noon the light wasn't great and there were only a few people at the camp. I'd also like to get a high shot of the whole camp(which is very spread out so the whole thing might not be possible). I think evening light would be better for that as well.

I totally messed up though. I took my first couple shots inside of a tent and cranked up my iso to 1250. And then forgot to take it back down for the rest of the shots. So they are pretty noisy, but luckily I had planned to do the whole series in b&w which hides the noise a bit.

I have stories and info on everyone, but I haven't gone as far to write yet. But a quick note on the guy sitting in the easy-chair and the bed; He calls himself the "Mayor of Tent City," because he has one of the bigger, well accommodated tents. Propane cooker, mini-dvd player, stereo, lounge chair, a twin sized bed with frame, file cabinets, and a bedside table.

As always, comments and criticism are welcome.

Updated photos with new edit jobs that are more true to life.

PHOTOS ON PAGE 2

Last edited:
Nice shots. I don't think the noise hurts you in black and white, in fact, I think it helps with the journalistic feel.

Wow.. Nice look at something that I never thought I'd see in America..

I saw this on CNN and i too didnt think America would come to this. You captured it well. I look foward to viewing more pics and hearing the stories.

Thank you, guys. I'm happy to hear you like them.

There's a few places around here that the local homeless people hang out at, and I was thinking of doing the same thing you are. I was even going to go around and photograph the ones that don't gather with the others.

I'll start my own thread though. I'm not gonna take your spotlight. ;)

Nice pics.

keep shooting this you are capturing history, this is akin to only Hoovervills in the late 1920's. my grandfather spent a good portion of his childhood living in a tent in Connecticut during the depression in the 30's.

One question I have, and I'm not being coy.. Are the people in these tent cities functioning at full mental capacity, or do you find that most of them are a little crazy? I have been unemployed for several months-in fact, I've been laid off since July of last year, but my wife's job keeps us afloat and owning our own home, but even if this weren't the case, I can't think of any circumstances that would land me and my 4 children in a tent city.. I'd rely on family, I'd look into local shelters, etc.. I only ask this question because you posted the series that provoked the thought.. Are these normal, everyday people you might come across were you out and about? Evidently you've talked to them, so I am genuinely curious..

For the most part they were mentally there. The younger girl seemed to have the characteristics of a drug user. Meth would be my guess. The older woman wasn't erratic like a current drug user, but had the features of a former user. Everyone else I talked to came off as stable people. The problem here in Sac is the shelters are pretty much fuul. And our rate of new homeless is up 15%.

Nice series. I remember seeing a cardboard city on the outskirts of Madrid once, quite a sobering view ...

I've seen this story on a few different news shows. On one, where they interviewed a husband & wife in their 40's, they had grown kids but did not want to strain their lives with their parents problems. I've also seen interviews where the people say that they were normal, middle class people one year ago and now they live in these cities that have popped up all over the U.S. One lady said she didnt want hand outs, she just wanted a job. I've also been told there are "car cities" popping up too for those fortunate enough to get out with their cars.

Its scarey, my husband is in constuction & been out of work since Sept, if I were to lose my job, we could easily see ourselves in a similar position. You just have to be thankful for everything you have & live life one day at a time.

For the most part they were mentally there. The younger girl seemed to have the characteristics of a drug user. Meth would be my guess. The older woman wasn't erratic like a current drug user, but had the features of a former user. Everyone else I talked to came off as stable people. The problem here in Sac is the shelters are pretty much fuul. And our rate of new homeless is up 15%.

Very tragic.

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. A little update. I will be going out and staying at the tent city for the weekend. Lot's of shots, first person narrative, and a little more authentic than those teens in church groups who stay the night in a store parking lot to "know what it's like to be homeless."

I'm excited and anxious.

Update: I reedited all the older photos and added new ones.

This series is deeply impressive!
Really good work done here.

I have heard about the tent city and seen a report on it on our German TV the other day, too, but I must say that your photos here speak louder than the TV footage did. Though the interview with the person who had been willing to be interviewed for German TV was quite impressive, too. That person had no history of drug or any other kind of abuse AT ALL and was totally sane, other than being slightly depressed by what turn his life had taken... which is very understandable, I should say.

Most reactions

Back