Sacred Heart Cathedral

waiting

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was delivering some photographs for work in Bendigo yesterday just up the road from this beautiful Cathedral. It was 5:30 and the sun was glowing yellow on the front so I quickly stopped to grab a snap shot with my 5DII. I noticed someone walking out the front door as I was taking a photo so I grabbed my tripod from the boot and ran in. As I started to pull the legs out an old guy told me they where closing. He gave me 2 mins and I got a 3 shot bracket which I merged into HDR to get this Image. Wish I had more time. Will go back one day!

9632796445_d058559c28_c.jpg

Couple thoughts Daniel,

While I appreciate that the golden glow is the main element in this image of a beautiful building, with HDR, you should be able to tone down the blown highlights in the side windows...

Did you consider a lower shooting angle or adjusting for distortion ?

Very quick adjustment with DXO as an example only :)

9632796445_d058559c28_c_DxO_zps23beaeb9.jpg

Cheers, Don

You definitely need to keep this on your regular photography route. Go back several times, and at different times of the day and explore the building, both inside and out.

PS: sometimes the stewards will feel like granting you more lee-way if you speak to them once in a while. Sometimes churches ask for a photographic license (donation) to use a tripod. Be sure to offer prints of your work to the church in exchange for allowing you better access.

For the main knave picture, maybe you can go up to the choir loft to lessen the distortion effect. Good on ya!

Personally I love the perspective the distortion gives. I think it makes you feel like a tiny child looking up at huge intimidating structures beyond all comprehension.
I do perspective corrections for all straight lines in my Images but that is it. I hate the amount of actual Image size you loose doing full corrections.
I think the only way of doing it properly is buy a Tilt Shift lens but as this is technically the first time I've shot architecture I have no need for it.
Yes I could have also toned the highlights down but as they're not overly disturbing I think they kind of add a little to bit of punch to the Image.
On a final note as stated I only had 2 mins to compose and shoot 3, 5-20 second exposures. All I wanted was symmetry for my first go lol. Will try shooting lower next time I'm in Bendigo though.

I think you did well.

I wouldn't change a thing about this photograph.

Thanks Dinardy!

Also this one goes out to the guys with a distorted problem!
Jokes this was way to much but took it anyway as I thought it looked like the buildings falling over.

9638186473_cf1a03f02f_c.jpg

Last edited:
Couple thoughts Daniel,

While I appreciate that the golden glow is the main element in this image of a beautiful building, with HDR, you should be able to tone down the blown highlights in the side windows...

Did you consider a lower shooting angle or adjusting for distortion ?

Very quick adjustment with DXO as an example only :)

9632796445_d058559c28_c_DxO_zps23beaeb9.jpg

Cheers, Don

I wouldn't be standing too long in that church!! :wink:

Love it. Definitely leave the distortion, it gives a sense of the massiveness and grandeur of the architecture.

Most reactions

Back