Sad day today. Just received my RMA# for my 3 week old D600.

CR88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I just received my RMA# for B&H Photo to return my 3 week old D600. Last night, while shooting into the sky around dusk, I noticed something on the left side of the image. I thought it was on my screen. So, I zoomed up and there were a bunch of pretty nasty specs. Nooooooo. I compared the image to what I have seen on forums concerning the dust/oil issues and it's very similar. So, as much as I hate to do it I have to return the camera. Normally I would stick it out and clean the sensor, but I am a few days away from 30 days and didn't want to deal with it after B&H's return policy time was up. I am sick about it because, aside from the dust/oil issue, the images I have taken over the three week period were incredible. This could really be a superb camera if Nikon could ever resolve that nasty issue. ISO performance was EXCELLENT, and Image quality was great with manageable files.

I actually thought the dust oil thing was blown out of proportion. Now I have to decide what to do. If I want to go FX, my only other reasonable option is the D800, but that's really a little too far out of my budget. I am a lifelong Nikon user with Nikon lenses so Canon isn't an option. The 7100 looks like a great camera, but I was really hoping to go FX. I am a little hesitant to get another D600 because the issue seems like a REAL issue and I don't want to deal with sending it back to Nikon numerous times after spending that kind of money. So, looks like if I want to stay with FX, I better prepare to spend more money and get the 800. What a bummer.

I agree, I would just get out the wet swob cleaning kit. Sounds like your generally happy with it and everything else works to your satisfaction so why give up on it.How many shutter cycles have you put on it and how many times have you cleaned it since taking ownership.

Last edited:
I agree, I would just get out the wet swob cleaning kit. Sounds like your generally happy with it and everything else works to your satisfaction so why give up on it.How many shutter cycles have you put on it and how many times have you cleaned it since taking ownership.

Only about 70 shots! Had it been minor and a rare issue I probably would have just cleaned it up and went about my business, but it was nasty and after only three weeks of very light use. It didn't seem like a light lubricant either. It seemed pretty thick and in there pretty good. I suspect I would be cleaning the sensor as often as I am charging batteries. Not really what I would expect from a camera at this price point. I had a D200 and a D70 for YEARS with tens of thousands of shots each without any issues. All that being said, part of me just wants to get another D600 because the images were so good and ISO performance was ridiculously good. But, I am now debating on going back to a crop sensor and getting a 7100, or biting the bullet and save a few more months and get a D800.

It's a baked-in problem that Nikon needs to sort soon. Can't be doing much for sales.

At that price point I would not accept this type of quality either. I would not be cleaning my sensor at this point if I were you. HECK NO. Send it back.

Normally, I would say clean the sensor but you haven't even hit 100 shots yet.

Just clean your sensor what's the big deal

I agree, you are making a huge deal out of something so small.
Its a phenomenal camera and either learn to clean the sensor yourself or send it to Nikon to clean the sensor.

Well at 70 clicks and if it is as bad as you say,I guess I would be sending it back to. I put like 1500 hundred clicks on my D3100 in a couple of months and the sensor is spotless,So I certainly could understand why you would want to send it back. Dang, 70 clicks Is like a Minimum in bird shots in an hour or so and thats on a slow day.:lol:

I agree, you are making a huge deal out of something so small.
Its a phenomenal camera and either learn to clean the sensor yourself so send it to Nikon to clean the sensor.

That's an option. I agree...is it under warranty?

lol 70 shots. Yeah, no. Send that thing back as fast as possible.

I am pretty sure that's a particularly bad copy, but maybe not.

They might fix it sometime soon. Using whatever camera you had before for a little longer may not be a terrible option, unless you can pretty easily afford a D800 or whatever else.

Maybe your camera is a Ravens fan...:lol: Trying to lighten your mood.

I would personally send it back.

Last edited:
The sad day is when you receive the RMA for the 53 week old D600. :)

Most reactions

Back