Lensmeister

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this EN
Website
www.lensmeister.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok Plasticspanner and I started this convo in another thread .. so I thought it might be fun to ask everyone else ...

WHo here (be honest now) has got all their photos listed in a database or soemthing similar? How detailed is it? and what do you use ?

I have none listed ... no database at all ... YET ! ;)

Rob said:
SFA my end, just lots of disorganised directories scattered across about four computers and a NAS.

Rob

Virtualy the same for me.... dont know wich computer or which file any of my pics are in......i'm generally a disorganised fool.... but im like that with everything so there's nothing new there.

hmmm I have one folder on my drive called "photography" ... there I have subfolders called: "album 1" .... "album 31" in every albym I have about 700 MB of pictures or very often one album contains one trip on which I took pictures. Now I remember whereeverything is and it takes me up to 2 minutes to find a photo... but... no database...

i'm a bit like mentos... in "my pictures" i have a folder for my photos and it's full of sub-folders that all contain pics from a certain shoot. so it's basically like "walk 1", "walk 2", "downtown 21.02.05"...
once a while i put it in order and burn it to a cd. then i loose the said cd and have to do it all over again.

databases and everything... huh... i'm really awfull with computers, plus my database would be even more confusing than the whole folder system, so... thanks, but... no thanks :D

Alexandra said:
i'm a bit like mentos... in "my pictures" i have a folder for my photos and it's full of sub-folders that all contain pics from a certain shoot. so it's basically like "walk 1", "walk 2", "downtown 21.02.05"...
once a while i put it in order and burn it to a cd. then i loose the said cd and have to do it all over again.

databases and everything... huh... i'm really awfull with computers, plus my database would be even more confusing than the whole folder system, so... thanks, but... no thanks :D

hahahah ditto :D

I use the computer to suppliment my terrible memory which is why I have nearly all my serious shots listed.

Also, now I'm doing all my own processing, it's worth scanning the negs to get a low quality "proof" photo before I decide which ones to print!

I can browse the pics in the folders or pick one specific shot from my list & find it in my folder of negatives quite easily now! :)

I keep all my photos in the "my pictures" folder. It's then subdivided into a bunch of categories, although most of the folders are just old photos, and there is only one for my recent stuff, so that just gets filled up. I also have a folder for RAW's, and for processed RAW's (TIFF's), and that folder is subdivided a bit, I'm trying more recently to create specific folders for types of stuff I shoot. But no, no database...what would I put in my database?

I have a big backup problem, I've only saved a very small percent of my photos to CD's, so if my comp dies one day...well, I don't want to think about it.

I've been meaning to get another hard-drive, format it as Drive L, and use it for all my photos. Just haven't got to the stage where I need it yet so for now they are just everywhere. And I couldn't tell you where...

I am unorganized, but at least with my clutter I know where everything is LOL. I have a RAW file for my raw images, a NIKON file for my completed images and subfolders in my NIKON file for things like Mardi Gras, Plantations, Landon, Brett, Devin, Joshua, etc etc LOL

If anyone tried to find their way around my computer I am convinced they would become quite lost. My pictures are into categories by theme(Portraits, Travel etc.) then there are folders in there with dates, then inside each of those are "Fixed" files, where I put the processed photos. All of which are on a seperate hard drive and I did copy everything off a few months ago, but I am too lazy to do that again. Just hoping my computer doesn't decide to crash on me anytime soon.

I have a "my pictures" folder with the names of everyone i've shot, or the names of the events I've shot. My computer is actually REALLY organized.

People actually compliment me when directly linked to share music. I have each music catagory then devided my albums or artists or whatever.

Yes, I'm really anal like that.

I have a work drive and a personal/freelance drive. The organization of said drives is sad to say the least. A million folders titled with subject and date. And of course the infamous "outtake" folder. Never delete anything is my motto. Basically can find what I am looking for. Clearly spend way too long doing it.

We use "Portfolio" at work. After the lengthy process of getting your folders recorded it works out real well. Personally filling out file info in PhotoShop is a big help. I add keywords, full description and location of the outtakes.

Viewing folders is the wave of the future. Adobe Bridge in CS2 is amazing. LightTable is in beta mode. Database is a scary word these days.

I have a computer sitting next to my desk, running Windows Server 2K3, that shares most of my files. Including all of my photos. Ive got a few other services running on that machine but for the most part its sole purpose is to share my photos, video files, and backups of programs, system backups, etc.

My main computer (or used to be until I got this laptop) is where I have Photoshop installed, along with the Adobe Album software, and do most of that work.

I think have my laptop. Despite the computer running ps being maybe 9 inches from where my laptop sits I usually RDP to that machine, and to the server when I need to.

Its all very nice.

Most reactions

Back