Safety

I am with skieur on this one, I am reading this and thinking to myself, "My word all this gun talk. If you were walking around town with a gun strapped to your belt where I live people would probably be calling the police and diving under the local Tim Horton's coffee tables"

That being said I have more then once in a little town where I grab breakfast had a cowboy (yes real one) come in with a gun on him, however, not too disconcerting, as when the lady at the counter asks if he wants it in a box the reply is, "Ma'am, boxes don't fit in saddle bags then do they eh?" Sure enough right outside the window is his horse tied up. (There's my one gun story)

Anyways, personally I think as long as you are respectful as to what is private property (and if it is, make all the efforts to ask permission and if you can't get ahold of them, let it be) and take all precautions in telling someone where you are going and when you are getting back, shooting alone is no big deal.

In spite of the fact that I'm pro gun control, I have been in parts of my town where carrying a gun while shooting photos could have some real utility...where blocks are controlled by gangs and being accosted by tweaked out crack dealers with serious muscle around the corner isn't uncommon.

Fortunately, there are almost always cops on the edge of the neighborhood. I walk up to their cars and tell them I'm going up onto the block. Of course they try to talk me out of it....

I have been in parts of my town where carrying a gun while shooting photos could have some real utility...where blocks are controlled by gangs and being accosted by tweaked out crack dealers with serious muscle around the corner isn't uncommon.

What happens when 7 gang members corner you, and you have a gun?

Can't shoot all of them before 1 gets you...

I'd like to carry a gun, if it was fully automatic.

In Arizona, I like going out into remote areas, or places tucked out of the way, you know explore a bit. Unfortunately, I have come across wierdos, rednecks, lots of pot plants, stills, groups of hobos, etc. I have even been shot at once. Someone always knows the area I am exploring and I make use of my concealed carry permit. Never have had to draw, but its my ace up my sleeve if I need it.

Pro gun, anti gun, who cares, I live in the wild west and act accordingly...

What happens when 7 gang members corner you, and you have a gun?

Can't shoot all of them before 1 gets you...

I'd like to carry a gun, if it was fully automatic.

If someone like myself walks up onto the block, everyone assumes that a) I'm a cop, or b) I'm trying to score crack. Even if they think (b), they won't take their chances on (a), not in broad daylight at least.

If someone like myself walks up onto the block, everyone assumes that a) I'm a cop, or b) I'm trying to score crack. Even if they think (b), they won't take their chances on (a), not in broad daylight at least.

You're saying you look like a crack head? :mrgreen:

In Arizona, I like going out into remote areas, or places tucked out of the way, you know explore a bit. Unfortunately, I have come across wierdos, rednecks, lots of pot plants, stills, groups of hobos, etc. I have even been shot at once. Someone always knows the area I am exploring and I make use of my concealed carry permit. Never have had to draw, but its my ace up my sleeve if I need it.

Pro gun, anti gun, who cares, I live in the wild west and act accordingly...

Arizona is not even close to the wild west. Alaska is closer to wild west standards, you can carry a concealed hand gun WITHOUT a permit.

If someone like myself walks up onto the block, .

Are you speaking that crazy yank English again? What does "walk up onto the block" mean? :) Do you mean simply "walk up the block" or am I missing something?

skieur

If your shooting in a rough or dangerous area I would say your best bet if you run into trouble is either try to talk to the person or run like the wind. If you have a gun, are you really willing to kill someone? also lets say you do shoot someone you better have a lawyer because you're going to court, even if this person was threatening you. For the price of a lawyer on a gun charge let alone, assault/murder charge you could buy almost any piece of camera gear. Lets say you dont have a gun and the person takes all your gear rationalize to yourself that the money saved by not getting a lawyer will buy you all your gear back plus some. Furthermore I would imagine if you kill someone you really aren't the same again. Mace or pepper spray is probably a better alternative if you need protection and its use is not going to open the world of hassle that the use of a gun will.
Yet another option would be to insure your gear against theft this way if your threatened hand over your gear and you now get a brand new camera with 0 shutter releases.

If the person doesn't want your stuff and just wants to hurt you wellIguess you really are in the wrong place and may want to reconsider shooting in the area.

Not really as long as I'm aware of my location I mean I wouldn't go into a known bad area carrying 2 or 3k of camera stuff. So, ask the locals if not familiar with the area and if in doubt stay out.

I carry a gun everyday. I don't plan to ever use it but then again I don't plan to ever get in a car wreck but I wear my seatbelt all the time. I don't plan on having a fire in my kitchen but I keep a fire extinguisher nearby just in case. Some have a saying...it's the software, not the hardware, that makes all the difference. Stay out of places where your apt to get into trouble and you probably WON'T get into trouble. Pay attention to who/what is around you. No harm in preparation and proper mindset.

Greg

If your shooting in a rough or dangerous area I would say your best bet if you run into trouble is either try to talk to the person or run like the wind. If you have a gun, are you really willing to kill someone? also lets say you do shoot someone you better have a lawyer because you're going to court, even if this person was threatening you. For the price of a lawyer on a gun charge let alone, assault/murder charge you could buy almost any piece of camera gear. Lets say you dont have a gun and the person takes all your gear rationalize to yourself that the money saved by not getting a lawyer will buy you all your gear back plus some. Furthermore I would imagine if you kill someone you really aren't the same again. Mace or pepper spray is probably a better alternative if you need protection and its use is not going to open the world of hassle that the use of a gun will.
Yet another option would be to insure your gear against theft this way if your threatened hand over your gear and you now get a brand new camera with 0 shutter releases.

If the person doesn't want your stuff and just wants to hurt you wellIguess you really are in the wrong place and may want to reconsider shooting in the area.
You can have all the mace and insurance in the world but it won't help you while some dirtbag is beating your pumpkin in with your own tripod now will it. Mace is just one tool in the toolbox. Sometimes mace doesn't work. Train and equip yourself with the proper tools and stay out of "rough" areas. There's plenty of places to take pictures that are safe.

Greg

Most reactions

Back