Sakar external flash with D80...help!

bender73

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
sorry for another NooB question, but it was like Christmas today since my wife bought me a 50mm 1.8 and my dad gave me his bag of Nikon goodies including a 35-70mm and 70-210mm. he also gave me his SAKAR external flash unit that he used on his Nikon film SLR years ago. woo hoo!!! i just saved a lot of money......so, i mounted this SAKAR flash unit, turned off the camera's flash, and took a picture. it fired perfectly. however, i am not sure if this D80 really communicates with this old flash. the D80's internal flash will still pop up when low light is detected. that, and i cannot figure out how to turn off the internal flash in manual mode...but i need to read the manual for that one...........does anyone know anything about the SAKAR flash units? this sucker has ASA/DIN settings on the back. it is so friggin bright that i took a pick of my wife and the whole damn thing was over-exposed...white everywhere!!!

You may want to get a product called th e"Wein Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe Safe Sync". What it does is protect your later flash from overpowering the circuitry of your SLR. The older flashes use much higher voltage flashes. This can be sent back into your camera and blow the ability to use an external flash all together. The product I am describing costs about $50. I can't fix your pop up problem, but I figure saving your camera is priority. The product also gives your SLR a PC terminal to expand your flash options more. The safe sync may even line up the circuitry for your problem.

You may want to get a product called th e"Wein Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe Safe Sync". What it does is protect your later flash from overpowering the circuitry of your SLR. The older flashes use much higher voltage flashes. This can be sent back into your camera and blow the ability to use an external flash all together. The product I am describing costs about $50. I can't fix your pop up problem, but I figure saving your camera is priority. The product also gives your SLR a PC terminal to expand your flash options more. The safe sync may even line up the circuitry for your problem.

really? i hope i have not hurt my new baby.:(

It normally takes about 1 month of use before it suddenly will seem like it's not working, you should be safe so far.

Instructions for turning off the internal flash gun are in your manual. The manual flash gun will provide aperture settings for various distances and ISO settings on the little wheel on the back. Just set the aperture and ISO manually based on the distance from camera to subject.

It normally takes about 1 month of use before it suddenly will seem like it's not working, you should be safe so far.

a month of using the wrong flash or a month to wait to see if the internals are damaged?

you can turn your build-in flash off permanently inside the menu....or by adjusting the flash setting with the on-camera dials + button

Most reactions

Back