same lense for canon and nikon?

idaida

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've just a quick question that i think i know the answer to, but i just need to be a 100% sure before buying my new SLR. I've got a Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO that i bought for my Nikon F90 camera last year. Is this lense also compatible with canon eos 400D? I'm about to buy a digital camera, and the D40 lacks a good deal of the features i want and the D80 is a bit too expensive for the moment...i've realised after reading about several cameras that the canon 400D gives me more for the money i can spend, but it seems stupid having to buy gear for two cameras as i might want to take slides with the F90 later...If the sigma lense is universal, i'll buy the canon camera. If not, i'll have to buy the Nikon D80 i think and use it with the Sigma lense until i can afford to buy the Sigma 17-70mm...I really appreciate any advice as i'm so impatient to get started!

Regards,
poor and impatient student

Sorry but no. They have different lens mounts. You can buy exactly the same lens with a Canon lens mount, but you can't just take your current one with a Nikon lens mount and use it on a Canon.

There is an adapter which will let you use Nikon lenses on Canon dSLRs. I don't know how compatible the Sigma would be though, and you would obviously lose auto focus and probably some metering functions too.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, that's pretty much correct. The lens mount is different, so you can't swap lenses between Canon & Nikon cameras.

That being said, there are adaptors that do allow you to mount Nikon lenses onto canon cameras...but you lose things like Auto focus, metering and maybe even infinity focus. Not very convenient.

On a side note, the Movie "The Corpse Bride", was shot entirely with Canon DSLR cameras and Nikon lenses. The reason was that they already had the Nikon lenses...but Canon has the best camera.

On a side note, the Movie "The Corpse Bride", was shot entirely with Canon DSLR cameras and Nikon lenses. The reason was that they already had the Nikon lenses...but Canon has the best camera.

a movie shot with a DSLR?

thanks for that info, didn't know!

Your sigma has a nikon mount. If it has the aperture ring, then you'll be able to use it on canon, you'll just lose the manual focusing.

You can use nikon glass on canons.
You'll be able to focus to infinity
If the lens has the aperture ring, you'll be able to stop it down
You won't be able to autofocus

You can't do it the other way around - use canon's glass on a nikon.

thank a lot guys, this forum is great. it has the aperture ring. i didn't quite understand that i'll lose the manual focus at the same time as i won't be able to autofocus...but i think i'll buy the NIkon D80 and use it with the sigma until i can afford another lense.

thanks again!

ida

You probably realised this already but just thought I'd point out that Doc Frankenstein presumably means you can use your lens on a Canon with an adapter ring(?)

heh heh, thanx, i got a little confused there cause i didn't see the logic. i'm pretty new to the technically advanced photo world as my pics up until recently were taken with a Canon AE1 from 1978...i actually feel i took better pics with that camera than with my nikon f90 since i ve never really had the time to get to know it...but for economical matters it cheaper to go digital then to buy film, pay for development and throw away half of the slides...so here i am!

thanks again:)

Most reactions

Back