Sample Photos

tenlientl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was wakling around a park the other day and caught something cool. A family was kinda stuck on the beach and had to climb over a wall, so I decided to take pictures.

Confronted them at the end, telling them what I was doing. Offered to send them the copies(with PP) or delete them.

They wanted copies, so here I am, finished editing. Now. I decided to export them with LR2 with 1200x800, sRGB, bit depth of 24, and 200 DPI. I read somewhere that for web, I should use 72 but I don't want to do that. I want to kinda impress them, and then maybe sell them the hi-res for printing.

I have an idea of what I should charge, but could they do any printing with these settings? Is this "too good" for a 4x6?

Thanks

DPI does not matter one pence on the net. You couldn't tell the difference of a 1 DPI or 10000 DPI... that is until you print.

Now, take this as one opinion but personally I would not charge them for the photos. If I did I might credit them something like 2 5x7 and then charge for the rest.

Anyways, you don't need your bit depth to be 24. Almost all printers can only print 8, there are some that print 16 but I don't know of any that print 24 quite yet. Or at least one that is accessible to us 'small' people.

Export them at there 100% resolution, 1200 x 800 sounds small, you probably won't get a great print from that larger then a 4x6.

Hopefully that makes sense.

ETA: 300 DPI is the 'standrad', as you print larger you might have to down it a bit

Question about your "bit depth" - I think you actually mean a bit depth of 8? 3 per channel (R, G, B) would then get you 24, which is standard. Some programs will call that 8 bits but some will call it 24. Just like my scanner software says it scans at 48 bits, but it really means 16-bit R, 16-bit G, and 16-bit B.

So if I am correct, then you don't need to change that, but if I'm wrong you shouldn't even be able to save it as a JPG file for posting (since only the JPG2000 (JP2) format supports 16-bit, not the classic JPG). That's actually a fairly simple way to tell, if you don't know what I'm talking about - if you can save as JPG, then I'm right, if you can't, then I've learned something because I was under the impression you can only save files as 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, or 32 bit at the moment.

Yep, 3 x 8 bits per channel = 24 bits. With Alpha 32,..

I shoot Raw, make as many adjustments in the raw dialog as possible, then open at 16 bit (per channel) in Photoshop.

This limits some filters, but the important adjustments support the greater bit depth and one can always step down to 8 bits per pixel, and in fact will need to for web JPGs and other formats.

This is basically called oversampling. -Shea

Actually, I don't know any about that 24 bit I noted down. I only did because I thought it was important. I used right click->properties. o.o

Most reactions

Back