Sample shot from the "new" Canon A-1

Gabriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gabriel-diaz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got my Canon A-1 last Friday, and arranged a quick shoot with a local model, Amanda, to test it out. This is on cheapie Kodak 400 film found at the supermarket, developed at the local drugstore and transferred by them to CD. It was just a test roll. This shot is not edited in any way - those wonderful colors are just the beautiful look of film :mrgreen:

This was from the first few frames of the shoot, so only the warm-up roll (I then switched to digital), and not one of the best from the session. But this roll proved that the camera works fine (has a little bit of shutter squeal I'll be taking care of, and a couple of cosmetic dings), so I'll be picking up a wider lens - it has a 50 on it now - and some Kodak Ektar 100. There's a personal project I plan to shoot solely on film.

Natural light, ISO 400 (only speed I could find), like 1/1000th @ f/5.6. Don't quote me on the settings, as I changed them around as we moved in and out of the shade.

4110636929_52e312ed5f_o.jpg

You look to have got some good results out of it. I went through three of them (2 stolen, 1 bounced down a scree slope). I really liked them and would happily have one now - I can still imagine what they feel like in my hands. I refer of course to the A-1...

Very good! I'd bet dig would have given you burn out fits in that light.

For people, you should try Kodak's professional 160 ISO film. I'm pretty sure they still make it, and you'll love it.

You look to have got some good results out of it. I went through three of them (2 stolen, 1 bounced down a scree slope). I really liked them and would happily have one now - I can still imagine what they feel like in my hands. I refer of course to the A-1...

If not the A-1, whatever would you be talking about? :lol: I kept forgetting to advance the film, but otherwise that camera felt great in my hands.

Very good! I'd bet dig would have given you burn out fits in that light.

For people, you should try Kodak's professional 160 ISO film. I'm pretty sure they still make it, and you'll love it.

Digital could pull it off, but it would take a little more dialing in than that. And do you mean Kodak Portra? I seem to remember that it came in 160, and I think they still make it. My fave was probably Agfa Ultra for negs, and E100SW for trannies, but they no longer make the first, and I can't do slides for this project (will be offering subjects prints in exchange for posing for me) if I want to do it on the cheap.

I just acquired an A-1, can't wait to try it out. Love the viewfinder LED's

I've got 2 A1's and 2 AE-1's. I bought them new in the late 70's/early 80's.
i was able to get them overseas at the base exchange for about 1/3 of what they cost at the base excange in the states.

I just pulled one out of a box, a few weeks ago, that probably had about 2 or 3 rolls of film shout out of it.

I also have a lot of FD glass, bought the same way.

I love them, and use them quite a bit these days.

Good luck with yours.

J.:mrgreen:

I really liked shooting with it and can't wait to use it again. I've been looking at the faster wide-angle lenses (24 and 28mm). I guess the newer ones without the silver ring are more desirable?

Right now, I'm off to order some film. I have to order online, since I can't seem to find a single pro camera store in my area...

Ordered some Kodak Ektar 100 last night, though I forgot to look for the Kodak 160 recommended to me here; also just got a 28/1.8 FDn lens for $33 shipped :mrgreen: I did not see a big enough difference between the field of view of the 24mm and the 28mm to spend more time looking for a nice 24mm under $50.

Last edited:
I kept forgetting to advance the film
I often have the opposite problem, wanting to advance the film when I'm shooting digital. ;)

:lmao: I've heard other people say this...solution, get an autowinder, (canon) new or like new off ebay for 45 bucks or less...

J.:mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back