[Samples inside] What's the best camera/lens for shooting out of a plane window?

FlynShoot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I am considering to upgrade to SLR with shooting out of a plane window as the main reason. So I would like to have recommendations on the best lenses for such purposes.

I found a great deal for a D7200 with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR. Do you think it's appropriate? (you have then an idea about my budget)

Thank you !

My goal is to have way better shots for scenes like this:

d390082fbbe44501a4a91397f9f994bd

fef7097584004956aba5845d2d8926ac

fbfafbd021a64b2fb95380bbecde533a

04edb9e2bb2f45dbb24597413b8fc0d7

707a5c04be8f4d6ba833d65d7b5e3aab

8af188c5c6e44128bd4ba6f9ef8d389a

OJkk5NrM6uaIGqpsdLP1_KVYJ_ZRgNeOZXEoBe-LFsEZDaBuEspkfbXQZF-ld_N75d2ICOYPX156U8ErbCQ=w1920-h974

-Z7NuNHiAHnf9IIXpCI0CWyh2JWxFOOr-RX0RjvDnpiKfP3r28ADF50iETgdNmi1AnYItFvKKC5rehD_Kf4=w1366-h662-rw

Hello and welcome, you seem to be doing OK as you are......:)

The window itself is going to be the limiting factor. Shooting through it will degrade any image, even if it's taken with a top-shelf camera & lens. Improving your gear, IMHO, won't improve the image quality.

That's so kind Jeff, but that's because of the small size of the uploaded photos! but they are full of noize !

I am missing a lot of great shots because of:

- Not able to have proper zoom
- Not able to set Aperture, Shutter speed
- Not able to shoot RAW
- Not able to shoot at night
- Not able to shoot sunset and sunrize
-etc.

These photos are taken with a compact camera and my smartphone :(

What do you think of a used (8K shots) D7200 with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR for the purpose described above ?

Thank you :)

The window itself is going to be the limiting factor. Shooting through it will degrade any image, even if it's taken with a top-shelf camera & lens. Improving your gear, IMHO, won't improve the image quality.

Even if I have just a low-end compact and a mid-end smartphone ?

IMO, it won't help much. Yes, you may get lower noise, or having a better high-ISO ability to shoot at night. But the fact remains you're taking an image through two, three and maybe even four layers of material that was never designed to be 'optical quality' like camera lenses and filters.

Get the upcoming Sony RX100 VI

I agree with Sparky.

Ultimatley there is only so much you can do and the glass is going to be the killer of quality anyway. The photos you've posed are pretty small, so small that I can't tell if it's noise or not, can you post a high res 50% crop of an area? that would be better to assess.

What kind of phone do you have currently?

Ultimately I think you are on a hiding to nothing here and I'd hate for you to drop a grand on equpment just to find it doesn't do the job you were looking for.

Last edited:

Will that have better performance than the D7200 with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR? the deal I'm getting for the Nikon is cheaper than the price of the Sony RX100 VI..

I agree with Sparky.

Ultimatley there is only so much you can do and the glass is going to be the killer of quality anyway. The photos you've posed are pretty small, so small that I can't tell if it's noise or not, can you post a high res 50% crop of an area? that would be better to assess.

Ultimately I think you are on a hiding to nothing here and I'd hate for you to drop a grand on equpment just to find it doesn't do the job you were looking for.

Thank you for your feedback. I'll post right now the full resolution images.

I am using INFINIX ZERO 5 PRO :1219:

Will that have better performance than the D7200 with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR? the deal I'm getting for the Nikon is cheaper than the price of the Sony RX100 VI..

No, but it’s much easier to maneuver and carry

I agree with Sparky.

Thank you so much for you help.

Please find here full res photos. I think there is a room for better colors, better handling of shutter speed, ISO and focus, but your expert point of view matters a lot for me.

I think it a waste of money to get a big huge DSLR just to take pictures out a plane window. You don't want to carry that around while traveling if its only for plane windows. Get a good compact point and shoot camera that you can carry around easily or a bridge camera at most. The Sony RX is too much money to spend for the quality you will end up getting. Much cheaper options that will give you better than phone and a little more control.

Will that have better performance than the D7200 with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR?
Probably not.

The D7200 deal will help you get better photos than what you're using now. There is a learning curve associated with DSLR's that you should expect will take some time. Give it time and your dedication to learn the system and also continue to learn how to take photos from airplane windows. There are some tricks and stumbling blocks to be aware of.

I think it a waste of money to get a big huge DSLR just to take pictures out a plane window. You don't want to carry that around while traveling if its only for plane windows. Get a good compact point and shoot camera that you can carry around easily or a bridge camera at most. The Sony RX is too much money to spend for the quality you will end up getting. Much cheaper options that will give you better than phone and a little more control.

Thank you very much for your wise feedback.

Most reactions

Back