Sams Club D5100 Bundles

Fishwagon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

Total n00b here, looking for his first DSLR. I have become fascinated with photography and am reading and learning as much as I can. I've ordered Scott Kelby's book collection, etc... and am really excited to enter this new hobby.

Anyway, that being said, I am a total n00b still. I am looking around for a good package to start out with, but of course, prefer not to waste my money.

My question is around the lenses that come with the various D5100 bundles, and D7000 bundles you see at places such as Sams Club:

Digital SLR Cameras - Sam's Club

Are these lenses worth it, or, am I better served to looking at body only and getting the glass separate?

Thanks,
Rich

Well, it's a 50/50 thing. You've got to start somewhere and those get you a good, basic start.
If you are going to be a hobby shooter and you need lenses to cover everything from wide to telephoto they're great packages.
WHat they are is consumer grade lenses. They are made to be affordable. If you plan to get into serious photography down the road you'll trade them in for better quality glass.
If you are never going to be a pixel peeper for precise sharpness, low light capability or shoot professional grade work they're excellent. If you intend to be able to produce professional grade images in low light situations such as weddings, indoors without flash, sports, etc they'll need to be upgraded.

Thank you, that's pretty much what I expected. Appreciate the confirmation....

Rich

Just to add, for the price of that specific model it's a good deal. The lower D3100 sells for the same price nowadays at rival Costco. No need to elaborate that these are entry-level albeit good cameras in their class. The low price nowadays is most probably due to the upcoming launch of the D5200 in December (January in the US). Hoping that you enjoy your purchase. :)

Just picked up my D5100. Now the long journey begins......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back