Samsung NX1, strong green tint instead of white?

ABfilms

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really hope someone can help me with this!

I've bought a Samsung NX1 and I love it. Today i've been testing it in the dark and I was searching for a place to photograph my car. I stopped under a lamppost, for lighting on my car, which gave a bright white light. I've checked the settings on my camera but while cheking the settings i've noticed something that isn't quite normal i think. The white light on my car turned out all green? How is this possible, i've had it on AWB and everyhting was on factory settings except for F stops, iso and shutterspeed. Is there anyway to fix this?

There wasn't any light source that gave green light here! I was standing in a parking lot with only bright white lampposts :(

Is it possible the lamp post had a fluorescent light in it?

Is this closer to what it should have been?

01280106_zpstjk1fcaq.JPG

Last edited:
Using Auto WB was likely the problem.
Similarly, the automatic white balance system took most natural lighting conditions in its stride and even coped well with some mixed lighting situations. As is often the case, I found it was best to set a custom white balance value in artificial light.
Samsung NX1 review

. . . digital cameras often have great difficulty with auto white balance (AWB) — and can create unsightly blue, orange, or even green color casts. Understanding digital white balance can help you avoid these color casts, thereby improving your photos under a wider range of lighting conditions.
Understanding White Balance

Also, the NX1 projects green light in low light situations so auto focus can work.

Here's some reading material:

Mastering Photo » Light Sources and Color Temperature for Night Photography

From the second paragraph:

" Gas discharge sources, like fluorescent, sodium vapor, and metal halide lights, as well as LED (light-emitting diode) lights, give light that varies in hue from red to blue on the Kelvin scale. Fluorescent, mercury vapor, and metal halide lights all contain green, which cannot be accounted for on the Kelvin scale. Film photographers compensate for the green or cyan in these light sources with magenta or red color-correcting gels, and digital photographers have the magenta to green slider in RAW processing applications in addition to the yellow to blue slider in the white balance correcting tool palette."

Apparently the COLOR of the light changes continually (and does so very quickly as well) but our eyes perceive the light as being mostly bluish-white in color because, well, our brain.

The camera WB setting is going to be somewhat irrelevant in the case of color-shifting lights, so the best technique is to capture the Raw file and fix it later in post. If it needs to be accurate, shoot a WB target in one frame.

Thank you guys for the feedback! I've been playing with the white balance at the spot but it didnt change much there, I had to change the tint manually at home in photoshop to get it right. I'm planning to use this camera for videography :)

Using Auto WB was likely the problem.
Similarly, the automatic white balance system took most natural lighting conditions in its stride and even coped well with some mixed lighting situations. As is often the case, I found it was best to set a custom white balance value in artificial light.
Samsung NX1 review

. . . digital cameras often have great difficulty with auto white balance (AWB) — and can create unsightly blue, orange, or even green color casts. Understanding digital white balance can help you avoid these color casts, thereby improving your photos under a wider range of lighting conditions.
Understanding White Balance

Also, the NX1 projects green light in low light situations so auto focus can work.

Thank you for the links! very helpful!

Here's some reading material:

Mastering Photo » Light Sources and Color Temperature for Night Photography

From the second paragraph:

" Gas discharge sources, like fluorescent, sodium vapor, and metal halide lights, as well as LED (light-emitting diode) lights, give light that varies in hue from red to blue on the Kelvin scale. Fluorescent, mercury vapor, and metal halide lights all contain green, which cannot be accounted for on the Kelvin scale. Film photographers compensate for the green or cyan in these light sources with magenta or red color-correcting gels, and digital photographers have the magenta to green slider in RAW processing applications in addition to the yellow to blue slider in the white balance correcting tool palette."

Apparently the COLOR of the light changes continually (and does so very quickly as well) but our eyes perceive the light as being mostly bluish-white in color because, well, our brain.

The camera WB setting is going to be somewhat irrelevant in the case of color-shifting lights, so the best technique is to capture the Raw file and fix it later in post. If it needs to be accurate, shoot a WB target in one frame.

Thanks!

Though the streetlights look white to your eye, they are cooler than the light on the phone. I use the Lightroom eyedropper feature to set the WB to the green color (clicked on the phone case).

Thanks for the help, I was kinda shocked because I had a Canon 600D Before this one and never seen something like this.

ABfilms said:
Thanks for the help, I was kinda shocked because I had a Canon 600D Before this one and never seen something like this.

AUTO WB abilities vary quite a bit from device to device. Ten years ago, AUTO WB was often very poor, even on many d-slr cameras, but it has grown better. The 600D is from the 2011 era, by which time d-slr AUTO WB was 'decent' in most scenarios.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back