San Xavier Mission Church

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
San Xavier Mission Church - I went out yesterday on a photoshoot with a goal to try to capture some interesting subjects that Tucson Az has to offer. Along with gates past this is a very special place to shoot. I do applogize as the shots are not THE best. I went on a weekend and there are hundreds of people there all day as this church still holds mass. Many people come from out of town especially to see this church.

Brief history-

A National Historic Landmark, San Xavier Mission was founded as a Catholic mission by Father Eusebio Kino in 1692. Construction of the current church began in 1783 and was completed in 1797.

The oldest intact European structure in Arizona, the church's interior is filled with marvelous original statuary and mural paintings. It is a place where visitors can truly step back in time and enter an authentic 18th Century space.

The church retains its original purpose of ministering to the religious needs of its parishioners.

1) Front left view. I really wish there were more clouds as the sky is boring to me but I wanted to show you the front. ( I will go back during the week when its cloudy to reshoot when I get a chance)

SanXavier Church front left angle by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

2) front right angle

SanXavier Church front right angle by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

3) Front Entrance

SanXavier Church inside front by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

4) The alter

sanxaviermission2 by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

5) Virgin Mary ( a place to pray )

sanxaviermission1 by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

6) Alter left angle

sanxaviermission5 by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

7) Ceiling angle

sanxaviermission4 by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

8) Ceiling from below

sanxaviermission3 by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

9) People standing in line to eat some fry bread.... through this in just for fun. Did a very different process than I have ever done on this photo.

frybreadA by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

Hope you enjoy viewing these photos. When you are in this church it has a very religious vibe. Everyone is quite as if something is about to happen. I can't explain but it is a creepy yet revitalizing feeling.

Now the Dramatic Processing.

sanxaviermission2A by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

sanxaviermission5A by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

sanxaviermission4A by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

sanxaviermission3A by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

sanxaviermission1A by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

church1insideA by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

Last edited:
When you are in this church it has a very religious vibe.

I get that feeling from any church I go into... I dunno maybe it's just me. I know the feeling though.

Maybe it's because I've never been in a Church for anything other than a wedding, and religion scares me.

It is a very ornate and pretty looking church though, that's for sure.

Can't imagine a Christmas without going to church (24th des). This one seems grand, I'm used to simpler ones.

Most reactions

Back