Sand Dunes Portrait

shumopper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Took a shot of my wife on the sand dunes. This was my first time using off camera flash during the middle of the day to help capture detail and provide fill light. I like it for my first attempt. The sky was a bright overcast/cloudy day, so It wasnt blue from the get go. Would have been a better shot if it were. I guess I could photoshop in a bluesky.....

Anyways, C&C very welcome.

85mm f/1.8
430exII

Maryrose by SHUMopper, on Flickr

Does it seem to you as if she is shielding her eyes from the brightness of the sky? I think the horizon line is distracting here.

She was squinting, as my daughter (two years old) was running around on the boardwalk leading to the beach and she was trying to keep an eye on her while taking the picture. Of course my daughter had to act up at the same time I was taking the picture.......perhaps I shouldnt of gotten any of the horizon line? just the beach grass on the dunes?

She was squinting, as my daughter (two years old) was running around on the boardwalk leading to the beach and she was trying to keep an eye on her while taking the picture. Of course my daughter had to act up at the same time I was taking the picture.......perhaps I shouldnt of gotten any of the horizon line? just the beach grass on the dunes?

Squinting can sometimes be minimized by using a dark scrim behind the photographer, so the model is looking at a darker area. The scrim is usually between the model and the the sun, but not so opaque as to cast a hard shadow. If you try this again, take something to use as a shade, not for the model, but for her to look toward.

The horizon line in and of itself is not the issue, but where it crosses the model; right through her head.

As to getting the cooperation of the child, you just have to get creative.

Now i see what you mean about the horizon line, if persay it was crossing at her shoulders, it wouldnt be some prominent.
From only my few days now on this forum, im starting to learn that I need to starting paying more attention to the entire composition of my shots.

Thanks for the tips on the scrim.

It kind of looks like she's slouching or something. Her head is below her shoulders. The lighting looks okay but the posturing is just...

On outdoor beach shots like this one, what is the "proper" way to handle the horizon? Does the photog get above the subject and try to eliminate the horizon? If the horizon must appear in the image, where should it appear in relation to the body?

On outdoor beach shots like this one, what is the "proper" way to handle the horizon? Does the photog get above the subject and try to eliminate the horizon? If the horizon must appear in the image, where should it appear in relation to the body?

I don't know. Perhaps the shoulders? I think it would depend on the circumstances at the time.

Maybe in this case the photographer could find something to stand on or ask the model to sit on the sand.

Little trick... underexpose the background a little... and then properly expose your subject with the flash. Makes for much prettier backgrounds... darker blues, greens, etc....

Meter the background.. set your shutter speed to underexpose it 1/3 to 2/3's of a stop

Control your flash exposure with your aperture / flash power... a good mix of these makes for a much nicer photo...

Little trick... underexpose the background a little... and then properly expose your subject with the flash. Makes for much prettier backgrounds... darker blues, greens, etc....

Meter the background.. set your shutter speed to underexpose it 1/3 to 2/3's of a stop

Control your flash exposure with your aperture / flash power... a good mix of these makes for a much nicer photo...

Sort of a "baked in" GND filter, of sorts...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back