Entire gallery is here:

http://garyayala.smugmug.com/gallery/13 ... 4063_EtJpP

Gary

62033181_dV8wk-L.jpg

325854063_EtJpP-L.jpg

325853755_ZRXUZ-L.jpg

325853999_gj6yH-L-1.jpg

Excellent shots Gary.

I used to work at a park in Nebraska- good shots like this always get me going.

Thanks Abraxas ... I had a friend who used to live across the street from Santa Anita ... he said he had to move in order to make his mortage payment.
325853706_b5URP-L.jpg

Last edited:
Wow i really like the crop on the first photo, very interesting and different

These are great! You've really captured the speed and adrenaline of the workout (IMO). I like 'em all, but especially #4

Thanks Abraxas ... I had a friend who used to live across the street from Santa Anita ... he said he had to move in order to make his mortage payment.

I was lucky that I worked maintenance in the stables. I used to ask if I could ride them :)

I loved to watch them run, but never bet. I did see plenty during the season though that had the 'fever.'

Your shots remind me of something else though, wasn't determining if all of a horses' feet were off the ground at once while they were running one of the first scientific applications for photography?

And again- these are fantastic.

Last edited:
I was lucky that I worked maintenance in the stables. I used to ask if I could ride them :)

I loved to watch them run, but never bet. I did see plenty during the season though that had the 'fever.'

Your shots remind me of something else though, wasn't determining if all of a horses' feet were off the ground at once while they were running one of the first scientific applications for photography?

And again- these are fantastic.

Yep... a gent named Muybridge, was hired by Leland Stanford (who later founded the university), to settle a question (some people say a $25,000 bet) whether there was a point in a horse’s full gallop when all four hooves were off the ground.

Muybridge arranged 12 cameras alongside a race track and attached a string to the camera switches across the track. When the horse ran through the string, it triggered the shot. The series of photographs showed that indeed, all four hooves leave the ground when the horse is in full gallop.

Sadly, most thought it was at full stretch ... ala
325853891_a4TJk-L.jpg

which is a bit more romantic as if the horse is flying ... but in reality all fours hooves were off the ground in the tuck position ala the Ford Mustang emblem or as shown by my dog Cookie (aka The Cook) as she emulates the Ford Mustang
191799671_ZZKiE-L.jpg

Gary

And thanks you all for commenting ... I've just returned to this thread having forgotten to subscribe. (duh)

Gary

134598228_V6GpT-L-1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back