Santa Barbara Long Exposure

noahx1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently got a new 10 stop ND filter and got a long exposure on the beach. Criticism, advice, etc. is all very welcome! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8429 Edit-1.jpg
    IMG_8429 Edit-1.jpg
    975.1 KB · Views: 143
Its nice, but I'm seeing a lot of noise, especially in the darker tones. What are the settings/ equipment used?

Its nice, but I'm seeing a lot of noise, especially in the darker tones. What are the settings/ equipment used?
I did have to tone down the quality after editing on Lightroom due to file size, but I used: ISO 100, F/22, 175 seconds on my canon 18-55mm lens (rebel t3)

wild guess is it was shot on a canon. :p

I think using f/22 was extreme here, it might serve you better to shoot with a wider aperture, and reduce the overall exposure time back down to the 50-60s range -- unless that longer time is critical to get the shot, only then would i close the aperture so much at the risk of diffraction.

Hi, the colors are really great. What I don't like that much is the heavy vignetting. Could be due the use of your ND-Filter, or you added some at the end. No matter how, I would reduce it as much as possible. You dont need more drama with those colors. For me, it makes the picture to dark.

I think a shorter exposure time would have made as good or perhaps better a photo. The colors are excelelnt though, a beautiful sunset event. The ship really makes the shot stand out more so than just the bewach and water and sky would. I understand that this was a Neutral Densitt filter shot, so I "get" the 175 second and f/22 exposure decision.

wild guess is it was shot on a canon. :p

I think using f/22 was extreme here, it might serve you better to shoot with a wider aperture, and reduce the overall exposure time back down to the 50-60s range -- unless that longer time is critical to get the shot, only then would i close the aperture so much at the risk of diffraction.

Yes, shot on a canon! Thanks for the tip! I was going for a look with the streaks of clouds, but it was not too windy, so I definitely tried to make it so I could take pretty much the longest exposure possible, but thanks for pointing out the diffraction! I will keep that in mind for the future :)

Hi, the colors are really great. What I don't like that much is the heavy vignetting. Could be due the use of your ND-Filter, or you added some at the end. No matter how, I would reduce it as much as possible. You dont need more drama with those colors. For me, it makes the picture to dark.

Thank you! :) I did add a vignette at the end, but I see your point, especially with the edges of the photo already being pretty dark. I just got lightroom, so I've been doing a lot of experimentation, I appreciate your feedback!

I think a shorter exposure time would have made as good or perhaps better a photo. The colors are excelelnt though, a beautiful sunset event. The ship really makes the shot stand out more so than just the bewach and water and sky would. I understand that this was a Neutral Densitt filter shot, so I "get" the 175 second and f/22 exposure decision.

Thanks for the input! Yeah, the shutter speed seemed like overkill, and it still came out a little dark before processing, so I will definitely be changing my approach in the future. Hopefully I will be able to get some clouds on a day with a little more wind! :)

A nice photo, agree with others on how to have made it better for the future.

Most reactions

Back