Santa brought me an A6000 for Christmas (first impression)

Last thing I wouldn't get other lenses that will work as MF on this camera, the a6000 is well known for its blazing fast AF, why on earth would you buy a lens that cant use this awesome AF system ?

From the mall last night. I know the 16-50 gets no love from the testers but it is better than they would have you believe. I went to the mall last night and did some candids. Most people thought I was looking at a cell phone and paid no attention to me. This shot was at 16mm f/11 ISO 3200 and 1/20 of a sec
Wow, 3200ISO and the picture is clean, clean, clean.......I love Sony sensors :)
I dont think the lens is to blame here, just not very good composition, malls with their lighting and our general tendency to feel uncomfortable feeling of shooting in such busy places is not the "best" place to really get the best out of us and our equipment.
I am sure you will get much better shots in a different place and different environment.
The a6000 looks very impressive to me.
The sensor and in-camera processing are really great. The live view from the tilting monitor compared to my D7000 is outstanding. (I've heard that the d7100 is a little better) The eyelevel finder is a mixed bag. In low light it brightens which is nice but, the refresh rate is too slow for fast panning. The 16-50 is so so and they are offering a 16-70 f/4 Zeiss that has tested much better but, it comes at the price of $999!!!

From the mall last night. I know the 16-50 gets no love from the testers but it is better than they would have you believe. I went to the mall last night and did some candids. Most people thought I was looking at a cell phone and paid no attention to me. This shot was at 16mm f/11 ISO 3200 and 1/20 of a sec
Wow, 3200ISO and the picture is clean, clean, clean.......I love Sony sensors :)
I dont think the lens is to blame here, just not very good composition, malls with their lighting and our general tendency to feel uncomfortable feeling of shooting in such busy places is not the "best" place to really get the best out of us and our equipment.
I am sure you will get much better shots in a different place and different environment.
The sensor and in-camera processing are really great. The live view from the tilting monitor compared to my D7000 is outstanding. (I've heard that the d7100 is a little better) The eyelevel finder is a mixed bag. In low light it brightens which is nice but, the refresh rate is too slow for fast panning. The 16-50 is so so and they are offering a 16-70 f/4 Zeiss that has tested much better but, it comes at the price of $999!!!
You see for me there are 2 kind of zoom lenses, F2.8 and everything else.
F4 is just Waaaayyyyy to slow for me.
With F2.8 I get a very big lighting range to work with while F4 is not flexible at all and I am talking from a FF POV, crop sensor is even more limiting.
I say it again and again, Sony makes good product but for some weird reason is concisely limiting their cameras with slow lenses, don't know why but they do.

Mirrorless is still a little behind DSLR in some aspects, I am sure it will not take long for these engineers to figure out how to improve it.
For now the a6000 is probably one of the best mirrorless you can buy.

With F2.8 I get a very big lighting range to work with while F4 is not flexible at all and I am talking from a FF POV, crop sensor is even more limiting.
I say it again and again, Sony makes good product but for some weird reason is concisely limiting their cameras with slow lenses, don't know why but they do.

Mirrorless is still a little behind DSLR in some aspects, I am sure it will not take long for these engineers to figure out how to improve it.
The a6000 is selling pretty hot these days, it is only a matter of time before Sony or 3rd parties start making faster and more affordable lenses. Right now if you want to use 2.8 zooms you have to use a bulky $350 A mount to E mount adapter and with Sony/Ziess A mount lenses. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of the a6000 being small and discreet.

The a6000 is selling pretty hot these days, it is only a matter of time before Sony or 3rd parties start making faster and more affordable lenses. Right now if you want to use 2.8 zooms you have to use a bulky $350 A mount to E mount adapter and with Sony/Ziess A mount lenses. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of the a6000 being small and discreet.
putting aside size will these lenses give same AF speed as the a6000 native lenses ?

putting aside size will these lenses give same AF speed as the a6000 native lenses ?
Amazon.com : Sony LA-EA4 E-Mount to A-Mount Full-frame Adapter : Camera & Photo
plus
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-16-50mm-Standard-A-Mount-Cameras/dp/B005IY2OD4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420314341&sr=8-1&keywords=sony 16-50 2.8
or
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SAL70200G-70-200mm-Digital-Camera/dp/B000DZKOJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420314395&sr=8-1&keywords=sony 70-200 f2.8

Sony 16-50mm f/2.8 DT SSM (SAL-1650) - Review / Lens Test

This should get one started.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

No. Sony's EA1 and EA3 are straight through designs and will use the camera's AF. However A-mount lenses aren't designed to use the on sensor phase detection AF so focusing is very slow. These adapters will not AF any screw driven lenses either. People have report very slow AF with the Metabones adapters for Canon lenses too.

On the EA2 and EA4 (full frame compatible) it uses the SLT AF module from Sony's a5x era cameras and bypasses the camera's AF. This yields much faster AF but still not as fast as native lenses. But it is more than sufficient for landscape, portraits and light action photography.

I'm sure Sony is already working new adapters using the AF module from the A77II and should give blazing fast AF.

No. Sony's EA1 and EA3 are straight through designs and will use the camera's AF. However A-mount lenses aren't designed to use the on sensor phase detection AF so focusing is very slow. These adapters will not AF any screw driven lenses either. People have report very slow AF with the Metabones adapters for Canon lenses too.

On the EA2 and EA4 (full frame compatible) it uses the SLT AF module from Sony's a5x era cameras and bypasses the camera's AF. This yields much faster AF but still not as fast as native lenses. But it is more than sufficient for landscape, portraits and light action photography.

I'm sure Sony is already working new adapters using the AF module from the A77II and should give blazing fast AF.
Thank you for the very interesting and informative reply :)

Got a feel for the 16-50 today and it is much better at 18 than it is at 16. At f/8 it is pretty sharp. Here are a few shots I took today. These are not meant to be an artistic statement but only to demonstrate how the 16-50 does through a very dirty window.. Mannington from my band room this morning-small-6.jpg streak.jpg

I wish Sony (or someone else) would make more pancake lenses for the NEX ... I like the portability.
I found the SEL1650 OK but lacking ... but it's small size is great for a pocket cam.

FYI: the LA-EA2 is pretty fast in focusing ... adds bulk, but I am using my NEX+LA as my backup to my SLT so it is still small to pack.

I wish Sony (or someone else) would make more pancake lenses for the NEX ... I like the portability.
I found the SEL1650 OK but lacking ... but it's small size is great for a pocket cam.

FYI: the LA-EA2 is pretty fast in focusing ... adds bulk, but I am using my NEX+LA as my backup to my SLT so it is still small to pack.
What lenses are you using with the LA-EA2?

Most reactions

Back