Saving for Web

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I was playing around and all the sudden my copy of CS up and started working. I had been using 5.5 and it was allowing me to save images for web easily. However CS is giving me fits and I don't know what the problem is. I'm started out with images that are about 22mb in size, editing those, and then trying to save for web, it says that the file size is to large, but that I can proceed and I do, then set image size to 650 and it auto adjusts the other number, then when it saved it still saved it at like 14mb...in 5.5 it would always save at like 100kb....am I forgetting a step or doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks in advance!

I don't understand your steps you've listed. You went so save it for web and then resized it?

Sorry I'm a bit tired and didn't type that too cleary

1. Edited the pic
2. Went to save for web
3. Under the 2up tab I sized it at 650 (auto changed the second #) and then hit apply
4. Did the save as...but it still didn't save it for web...it was still 14mb rather than 100kb...

This is how I always have done it in the old program, but maybe the newer ones don't work this way?

Are you sure none of the other settings have changed?
Before you hit save - is it showing the smaller numbers in the preview area?

That's funny - i never noticed you could change the size of the pic in that save for web area. I always did it before I opened that up.
I just did a test doing it your way and it works fine for me.

Well this is really weird. I closed the program, started over and opened a pic, then did the same steps and it worked. I tried to do another pic, and it's giving me the this image is to large warning again...but it didn't do that on the previous one....quite strange...

Why do you have to save the images for the web? i have never done this,i have always saved directly to my folder, that way you have more control over re-sizing, and taken the image from it using photobucket.

You get a much smaller file size and retain quality by using save for the web. You have as much control resizing as you want, if you just resize it first. I paste my photo into a new document and resize it, then save it for web.

Digital Matt said:
I paste my photo into a new document and resize it, then save it for web.

I don't bother copying mine to a new document I just save it (as a PSD usually) then I resize and save for web. Then I just close the document and when it prompts me if I want to save changes I just click 'no' because I know I've already saved it as a PSD file.

Well mine is finally working...not sure what the deal was but it works now :)

Digital Matt said:
You get a much smaller file size and retain quality by using save for the web. You have as much control resizing as you want, if you just resize it first. I paste my photo into a new document and resize it, then save it for web.
i've never had a problem matt, but i will try your method next time cheers!

next time, before ps tries to render the second preview in the two up just press esc and it will stop rendering, then you can adjust the image size faster, and no "file to big" msg.....

Look just to the right of the preset menu they have a button with an arrow facing right... hit that and it should bring out the optimize menu. Select the "Optimize to File Size" selection and go from there! Dont forget to re-size in the "Image Size" tab beforhand!

Meysha said:
I don't bother copying mine to a new document I just save it (as a PSD usually) then I resize and save for web. Then I just close the document and when it prompts me if I want to save changes I just click 'no' because I know I've already saved it as a PSD file.

i do this also ... i add a step by sharpening the image (with the unsharp mask filter - if required) after resizing, but before saving for web ... the close the doc without saving the changes (as it's already the way i want it for printing)

i find 60% jpg quality to be the best for saving my digital cam images with the most color for online viewing with an acceptable filesize based on the scale of image..

if you have large file sizes with layers save for web will not work.

Also for the record I use save for web all the time. at 60% with bicubuc sharpening

Most reactions

Back