saving photos

thom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
can anyone please help me with saving photos to have them printed? first i scanned an 8x10 photo, when i went to the local walmart to have it printed at 4x6 it chopped off the heads and the bottom and sides of the photo. some one told me that it was saved in the wrong format (size). if this is true when i scan photos what dpi should i set at if i'm going to print at 4x6 or 5x7. also when i touchup a photo in photoshop 7 how should that be saved as when i burned an image to cd when i went to the photo machine it could not access it. the other images had the letter e in front of the file but the ps2 file had an icon of an eye (the photoshop logo, extension) and it would not open it thank you

Scan at 300 dpi (or higher) and save at 300 dpi for print. In photoshop, go to image/image size and look at the print size. If you want to print a 4x6 from an 8x10, there will be some sort of crop. If you reduce an 8x10 you will get a 4x5, or a 4.8x6.

Check resample and set the print size of the 8x10 to 4.8x6, then open a new document, and set it's size to 4x6. Copy and paste the 4.8x6 into the 4x6 and move it around until you find a composition that works. Something has to give. Save the files as RGB jpgs and they should work fine. They must be RGB for those machines to recognize them.

8"x10" and 4"x5" are 2x2.5 ratios (a shorter rectangle)

8"x12" and 4"x6" are 2x3 ratios )a longer rectangle, 35mm format)

When I worked at the photo lab at the end of every summer we got lot's of business from the 4H kids (4H is sort of a rural/farming kids organization) for their entries into the 4H photo contest at the county fair. They were taught some "rules" of composition; one of which was "fill the entire frame". Of course they were all shooting 35mm film (now some are using digital I'm sure) which enlarges into an 8"x12" print. But the 4H rules specifically forbid any prints except 8"x10", so they always had to crop, which they weren't planning on when they took the pics. It was very frustrating to them.

hahaha... i stood behind a woman at a lab once who was giving the technicians a hard time because the bottom of her feet were cut off in her wedding pictures (when she enlarged 35mm to 8x10) she told them it was their fault, and that they should just squish the picture instead of cropping it. hmmm... whats worse, cropping your feet off? or making you look all short and squatty. :roll: :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back