saving pictures in PNG format

bearsun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there any camera that saves the pictures in PNG format?
What do you think, it would be a good idea if the photo cameras will use this format? I think PNG format can be improved for including Exif information. Someone should ask the people that work on w3c to do that, i think.
But maybe there are people that would like to be able to save in this format even without Exif.

PNG files are smaller than the RAW files and they do not suffer from generation loss (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_loss)

Really? My PNG files all tend to be waaaay bigger than my RAW files. Granted, my camera is set to lossless compression for RAW, but they still run 12-16meg for RAW compared to some 32-64meg for PNG.

I admit, I've saved to a PNG file only once or twice.

Anyway, I don't see the real draw to doing PNG when the RAW captures the entire sensor array and you can make adjustments... but I'm probably not thinking of something critical.

Really, I should just shut up and let someone with more of a clue answer this, but I'm bored.

Hi! :)

A RAW file is just that; a RAW record of the sensor information as good as you can get. Any conversion to any other format is not going to be an improvement and will likely cause some info loss. Portable Network Graphics format is an old attempt at a universal format, used before the compression of .jpg. It has no value that I'm aware of in digital photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back