Saving RAW photos onto hard drive...will they be 'blank'..

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Such a dumb question..
When I first got camera, I took 1 jpeg + 1 RAW with my D7000. When opening them in Windows, I got to see the JPEG image and a blank file next to it representing the RAW (I guess)
Now, I want to save my RAW photos from my Photoshop
Elements 11 to a hard drive for back up. Do I have to transfer the PSE program to the hard drive or just move the photos as a group? Date the file and how will I see photos on the hard drive unless it has a program to read them?
The computer is about to die, so yes I am finally doing what you all have been telling members for a loooonng time!
Can you explain it in really basic terms. :{
Thank you.

Your computer can not read raw files without some sort of software or codec telling it how to do so.

You need to download the raw codec from your camera manufacturer that allows your computer to open and view the files.

If you don’t have this you can store them on the hard drive and the data will remain present, so they won’t be blank. But you will need software or the codec to be able to open them.

Just the files. You will need the software (and a working computer) to view the image, but not to store them. You can verify this by looking at the file size (on Windows, right click and select Properties.)

By turning on the "show file extensions" option (again, Windows), you'll see the raw files have a .NEF at the end.

You can copy the files to an external hard drive. As it sounds like you have not done this in the past then start right off with two and preferably three external drives and copy the files onto each drive, two as backup and one is your daily work drive.

I put my Raw files into a directory called Archive and all my JPG files are in a directory called Developed. I expect you have them both together as you shot Raw + JPG and you can keep them together when you copy to the external hard drive. Don't worry that Windows just shows a blank of the Raw file, you can still select and copy it to the new external hard drives.

PSE does not care if the image files are on the computer hard drive or an external hard drive (as long as the external drive is connected to the computer). I also rename my external drives so I know which is my daily work drive (Archiveyyyy) or backup (Backup1yyyy) (Backup2yyyy) - I just add the year to the name so I know how long ago I started using that drive.

When you get your new computer you need to install PSE on that computer. Then just connect your external work drive and you can see and work on your Raw images.

A Raw (not RAW) file isn't a photo until the file has been run through a Raw converter. But yep, you don't need any special software or app to store the files.

The Raw converter Ps Elements uses is a consumer grade version of Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) that has about 1/2 of ACR's tools, features, and capabilities.
Note that once run through a Raw converter the image files are no longer Raw files, but the Raw file is still intact and edits made to the file are saved sepate from the Raw file itself as a 'sidecar' file. Edits made in ACR are saved in an .XMP file that is either embedded in the Raw file or made a separate file at the users choice.
In the case of ACR, when the converted Raw file is opened in PsE or Ps the file is then a .PSD file (PhotoShopDocument).
Having the .XMP file separate from the Raw file provides limited benefit IMO.
Note to that ACR is Ps/PsE Camera Raw as well as Lightroom's Develop module.

More about .XMP:

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back