Saving size in Photoshop Elements 6

ArtsyDan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I'm not new to photography, but I'm new to trying to make it more professional.
Part of it is trying out stock websites.

Since money is an issue I can't afford the highest end programs yet and am working with PE6 and iPhoto right now.

Most stock photo sites ask (rightly so!) for at least 3MB pictures, and most also ask for their pictures in a JPEG format.

The thing is, altough when I save a RAW file in JPEG (max quality) it becomes even bulkier...
When I edit it in PE6 and save it, even in the biggest possible JPEG option (5x progressive included!), it shrinks to about half the RAW size!!! I don't get it?!

So a file that would be heavy enough (altough I agree not in the best out there), say 5.8MB, would shrink to 2.7MB! And one that is probably not one of the best, but enough for me to at least try to sell, at 3.4MB, will shrink to just over 1MB!!!

How come it shrinks like that in PE6?
Is there something I can do?

Thanks!

Last edited:
File size does not necessarily indicate photo quality. It depends on the image. There is no benefit (in terms of image quality) to having a file larger than the RAW file - where is it getting the extra detail from?

Are you sure you are not confusing requirements for MP (MegaPixels) with MB (MegaBytes)?

3 Mo, I don't understand or ever heard of unless its the abbreviation for Month. Jpeg uses compression algorithms so files do not take up too much space for specific applications, ie. the web, email etc, if these companies want 3.4 mb files and your camera can't supply the necessary compressed file size then you need a better camera, your eight MP p&s camera's files will be smaller than a 6MP DSLR, the reason being the 6mp's sensor and therefore pixels, are a lot larger than those of a p&s's eight, making the p&s useless for anything but family snaps. H

First of all, sorry I meant Mb, not Mo. I'm french and used the french abbreviation. :blushing:(Megabytes are Megaoctets in french). I edited the OP.

Yeah, you were right MrBarney, it was MP! Megapixels! Duh... :lmao:

STILL :

It doesn't answer my question about why the heck does a file grow up in size if I just save it without doing anything to it in iPhoto, but shrink after editing it in Photoshop Elements 6? :confused:

That's what is bugging me, really. Not understanding and wondering if I'm doing something wrong there...

Thanks again!

So not my question.
I know what JPEG is.

Please read before answering.

So not my question.
I know what JPEG is.

Please read before answering.
Sorry ArtsyDan. I did read before answering.

When I edit it in PE6 and save it, even in the biggest possible JPEG option (5x progressive included!), it shrinks to about half the RAW size!!! I don't get it?!

I'll never bother to try and help you again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back