sb-400 or sb-600?

Tbini87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I have been looking into some gear lately and have noticed some talk of using better flash than the flash that comes on my D40. I am relatively new to photography and mostly shoot landscape, but my wife likes shooting people and especially babies. I was wondering how helpful/useful a speedflash like the sb400 or sb600 would be.

Also, if a speedlight is necessary, would you recommend the sb-400, the sb-600, or something else altogether? I currently am using a D40. I don't want to spend a ton of money on a flash, but also don't want to wish that i had more power and options in a couple of months if i went with something basic like the sb400. Any recommendations and information would be great! Thanks.

IgsEMT

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pictureperfectny.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
welcome to the wonderful world of flash photography where you actually DRAW your subject :)

SB400 is a prettier version of your built in flash. It is more powerful but in terms of quality of the light = builtin (ok in a jam).
sb600 - allow you to ratate the head => so called directionality --> ability to shoot in somewhat of a ratio thus your image won't be flat and boring.
I'd recommend sb800 if you can find one - its more powerful them 600 but offers extra shooting options which in my opinion are more power/output consistent then ttl.
sb900 - its a 50/50 thing with some ppl loving it and other cursing at it for it shut-off tenancies.

There are some generic units out there with ttl capabilities, but again its a matter of preference to use those or not. Some ppl like them and others hate them.

Pure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
welcome to the wonderful world of flash photography where you actually DRAW your subject :)

SB400 is a prettier version of your built in flash. It is more powerful but in terms of quality of the light = builtin (ok in a jam).
sb600 - allow you to ratate the head => so called directionality --> ability to shoot in somewhat of a ratio thus your image won't be flat and boring.
I'd recommend sb800 if you can find one - its more powerful them 600 but offers extra shooting options which in my opinion are more power/output consistent then ttl.
sb900 - its a 50/50 thing with some ppl loving it and other cursing at it for it shut-off tenancies.

There are some generic units out there with ttl capabilities, but again its a matter of preference to use those or not. Some ppl like them and others hate them.

Pretty much sums it up.

I would personally find an SB-800. It's a great flash and is just the right size. The 900 is huge! Or at least in my opinion it is. The 800 is powerful, has a ton of features, and is a great starting point!

OP
T

Tbini87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit

thanks. i am shooting on a D40, so spending more on a flash than i did on my body is way out of my league right now. maybe i should pass on upgrading my flash for now and save for a bigger one? the 600 is def at the top of my budget atm.

KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Photos OK to edit
The SB-400 can be tilted up so it can be bounced off a ceiling, but it can't be swiveled so the flash can still be bounced when the camera is rotated to the portrait mode.

So while an improvement over the built-in flash, for what it costs the SB-400 is still pretty limiting.

That's why the SB-600 is so often recommended. It has enough versatility to be a better value in the long run.

IMO Nikon kind of shot themselves in the foot with the SB-900 and it's cost, but I'm sure it helped SB-600 sales.

In all honesty, the features and capabilities of the SB-800 are usually lost on shooters that basically use their dSLR as a fancy P&S camera.

By the way, the camera body is usually the least expensive major component of a quality photo set-up.

Last edited:

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
^^ i agree, body is cheapest, lenses are most expensive

OP
T

Tbini87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The SB-400 can be tilted up so it can be bounced off a ceiling, but it can't be swiveled so the flash can still be bounced when the camera is rotated to the portrait mode.

So while an improvement over the built-in flash, for what it costs the SB-400 is still pretty limiting.

That's why the SB-600 is so often recommended. It has enough versatility to be a better value in the long run.

IMO Nikon kind of shot themselves in the foot with the SB-900 and it's cost, but I'm sure it helped SB-600 sales.

In all honesty, the features and capabilities of the SB-800 are usually lost of shooters that basically use their dSLR as a fancy P&S camera.

By the way, the camera body is usually the least expensive major component of a quality photo set-up.

thanks. i am def leaning towards the 600 since i don't want to be constantly wishing i had the 600 while using the 400.

Most reactions

New Topics