SB-700 opinion

MTVision

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just received 2 nikon SB-700's in the mail (I ordered one and received one as a gift - surprise)!!! Need some opinions. Should I return one of the SB-700s and buy the SB-900 for a $100.00+ OR keep the 2 SB-700s. I have the Nikon d5100 and it doesn't have the commander mode.

I don't have any personal experience with either the sb700 or the sb900 flashes. If I understand the specifications on the sb700 correctly then it is capable of being a commander. If so, just keep both of them and start exploring the world of cls and off camera flash.

You're right about the sb-700 being able to be a commander. Think I'll take your advice and keep them both!! Thanks!

You should definitely keep both of them! I have an SB-700 and I feel like it's powerful enough for my needs so I definitely don't need a SB-900. That would be for professional use I guess... From my experience, having two flashes is three times better than having just one flash. :lol:

I'm curious how did it turn out with your 2 SB700s? I own a SB600, SB900 and just got a SB700 last weekend. I'm impressed with the size and features on the SB700. I would have gotten this over my 900 at the time with my current needs. Don't get me wrong, the 900 is a great strobe but SB700 with commander and size is a little beast!

I hope I remember this correctly, but doesn't SB700 have an SU-4 mode? Meaning it can function as an optical slave? In that case you can still use them with the 5100 even if it doesn't have commander mode! I think you are on your way to a really nice set-up with those two!

I haven't even opened my second flash! I don't really know what I am doing with them yet but I'm happy with the SB-700 that I've been playing around with.

Mo' is always bettuh!

Hey, if you don't want the other one, send it to me! :) I'd love to have a second SB-700. It's an awesome flash. I tell people it's Idiot Proof! :)

get rid of one and go for the sb-900. The 900 is a bit more usable outside, what camera do u have?

Just wondering if the camera itself has cls capability

zamanakhan said:
get rid of one and go for the sb-900. The 900 is a bit more usable outside, what camera do u have?

Just wondering if the camera itself has cls capability

D5100. I don't have commander mode or anything. Plus, it's a little too late to return it - I got them in September/October.

Check out strobist.com and go wild :) so many simple things you can do to get stunning photos! Spend your 100$ on a little "strobist" kit. ( a light weight stand, umbrella, etc )

Keep both, the SB-700 is a great flash. The only caveat is that it will lock up from time to time. Annoying as hell, what I do is slightly open the
battery compartment door just enough to break the electrical circuit then close. Why it happens, no clue. Any other 700 owners out there with
any additional info on this?

Most reactions

Back