SB-800 acessories

Remi M.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm getting a SB-800. Mostly to keep my photography going over the winter while I can't do much outside. I will be using it mostly for learning about portrait shots and product shots. I just want to order all the accessories at the same time as I order the SB-800 (I will be ordering from bhphoto)

I have spare tripod which I want to use as as a stand for the flash. Bhphoto sells a bracket to adapt to tripod.

I also want to get a softbox, but I only see one thats included in a kit that I don't need.

Now on to triggering:
So I would prefer not to use a hot shoe to pc cord. I want remote triggering. This is something I'm not %100 on understanding. I read that the on-body flash can be used to trigger the speedlight. Does it pre-sync the timing with the on-body flash or do both have to fire at the same time? (I don't want to see the light from the on-body flash in the shot)
I have a d70s (plan on getting a d300 in the spring). A friend told me that a d200 has a infrared transmitter to trigger the flash but not the d70s. Is this true? Can I get a hot shoe mounted infrared transmitter?
What about wireless triggers? I would need to get 2, correct? And how much is that?

Thanks for any help.

Uah not quite. The D200 still uses the flash but has the ability to control the builtin flash as part of the "master" system. Meaning although I can set it to not trigger I will see the flash but it does so before the exposure only to tell the other units what's going on.

All use infrared since the flash itself will only react to the infrared part of the builtin flash burst.

I am not entirely sure how this works on the D70. Look for Nikon's CLS or wireless flash in the manual. I know the D80 works just like the D200.

The D70 should be able to command the SB-800 using Nikon's CLS. Both flashes will pre-flash and then adjust to get the proper exposure. If you don't want the on-camera flash to weight in too heavily just set it's compensation to -3 or something. Then it'll still function with the SB-800 but shouldn't be too prominent in the shot.

Whether you know it or not the D70 and D70s both work as Masters for the SB-600 and 800 so you have a pretty good set up to begin with. I would use that over the pocketwizards in a heartbeat because basically you're getting the exact same thing with no additional cost beyond the camera and flash.

Does your D70s need a home when the D300 comes?

Hi Remi. As to the accessories, you will be happier with a light stand because they will extend up much farther than a tripod- big deal for creative lighting. Some sheets of white foam core will do wonders too.

I don't know how experienced you are with lighting but you should at least understand the difference between a single point light source (a flash) and reflected light. This will cut out a LOT of the BS people try to sell you.

Happy flashing! ;)

JIP:
Thanks for the info, the pocket wizards are very tempting. (btw it's kinda funny, but once I get the sb-800 we will have the same identical gear)

Garbz and rmh159:
Getting kind of conflicting info from you guys. So does the built in flash have to show up in the photo or not? (at low setting or not)
But now I understand that the infrared receiver picks up on the flash. Thanks.

rmh159:
Yes the d70s will have a home, right next to the d300 in my camera bag. I'v had the pleasure of waiting for the d70s to get serviced once. I definitely want to have a backup around.

Mike_E:
I have a rudimentary understanding of the differences between direct light sources and light bounced of a reflector, but no practical understanding.

I just want to get the stuff I know I will use at the same time. I hate driving to pick up that one little accessory to make a system work the way I want.

Thanks guys

I had the same idea you're working on Remi. You can use the built-in for the Master flash and not have it introduce light into the photo. Not sure on the D70, but on the D80, go to Custom Setting Menu (FULL MENU) go to #22 Built-in Flash > Commander Mode > Set Built-In Flash to "---" ( via toggle 4-way button) With this setting the built-in will only send a pre-flash to the off camera flash and will not output any flash for the shot.

If you were to set Buitl-In Flash to "M", you can control output from full power to 1/128 power.

Accessories: I got these items, they may work for you or not.
Bogen Light Stand - 3373
Impact Shoe Mount Bracket - 3117
Wescott Collapsible Umbrella - 43"
Bogen Superclamp - here

Also, 5-in-1 disc reflector, stand and disc holder. A few other bits and bobs, but that's the gist of it. Hope it helps.

Kundalini's list souns suspiciously like the kind of things you might find suggested here http://strobist.blogspot.com/ . This is a great resource for anyone considering off-camera flash shooting.

Thers's no reason to be suspicious, I just forgot to give credit where credit is due, my bad. I absolutely ripped them off, but their suggestions are solid. Yes, check out strobist.com, lighting 101.

Remi M. No. The D200 can set the flash in commander mode. In this mode I can set the flash to not fire. The thing that may trick people is it still does but it does so before the image. If I zoom in very closely on a mirror or some glass you can only just see the cue light from the flash but it has no weight on the scene at all.

What I don't know is that under the CLS usage listing it says the D200 can be set as Commander and Master. But on the D70 it only says Commander, so I am not sure what the difference is.

If you set a flash to -3EV you will ALMOST get zero effect from the flash.

I have A D70S and an SB-600, I can fire the SB-600 Wireless without the on camera flash, I do it all the time, this is where having Nikon Equipment is nice. The flash can comunicate the iTTL Data wireless to the D70S Body. So there is no need to pre flash unless you want it to.

Thers's no reason to be suspicious, I just forgot to give credit where credit is due, my bad. I absolutely ripped them off, but their suggestions are solid. Yes, check out strobist.com, lighting 101.

I did not mean you were trying to claim his ideas as your own I was just giving him a link to expand on what you said.

Most reactions

Back