SB-910?

RVT1K

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There is a SB-910 listed on my local Craigslist for $200.

I've never used a flash with the exception of what is built in to my D7000 and a couple of older models. But it is something that I would like to experiment with and see what I can see.

So now I have a few questions: Would this be a good flash to finally start experimenting with? Is this a good price (the seller claims it has never been used)? Any compatibility issues with my D3 or D4? Any other thoughts or opinions?

Thanks.

For a number of years, I've had a pair of SB-800's for my D500, D610, and D750. Last year I ran across both an SB-900 and an SB-910. They've now replaced my SB-800's. Although I don't use any flashes to extreme, the SB-910 has been stellar in performance. The knock on the SB-900 was that it would overheat under rapid firing, although I've never had mine to show such problems.

The price I paid for my SB-910 was around the same as your Craig's List price.

Here's a link to Nikon Speedlight compatibility:

https://nikonsupport.eu/europe/images/6312/SBCC_en.pdf

Also, here's Ken Rockwell's review of the SB-910:

Nikon SB-910 Review

Last edited:
You could also go for a Godox TT685N if it's powerful enough for you. The Godox X1T-N is a good trigger as well if your on a budget. I use them on all my digital cameras and have been very happy with them ( I have 3). As far as overheating, the only time it happened was when I was shooting outside, using HSS, and fired off around 15 frames in a 10 minute period. After cool down, it fired back up. However, this is common with most flashes and always good to have a few on hand if the shoot warrants such a situation.

Thanks for the input.

There is a SB-910 listed on my local Craigslist for $200.

I've never used a flash with the exception of what is built in to my D7000 and a couple of older models. But it is something that I would like to experiment with and see what I can see.

So now I have a few questions: Would this be a good flash to finally start experimenting with? Is this a good price (the seller claims it has never been used)? Any compatibility issues with my D3 or D4? Any other thoughts or opinions?

Thanks.
Oh, yeah, grab it! I have one, and you won't be sorry, especially for that excellent price. I paid full price when I bought mine, and I think it is the best Speedlight ever. If that sounds hyperbolic, I will point out that the SB910 does amazing things, is powerful, and well built.

If you purchase it, but don't like it, I will be happy to buy it from you. I'll happily pay the shipping as well.

For on-camera flash, especially if you use TTL, I think you will like it a lot and it will work well for you. It is the larger and more powerful version of the SB-700 I had (and just sold) that many photographers use for weddings and events. However if you plan to use it more off-camera, the Godox/Flashpoint speedlights offer comparable performance at a much lower price point and built in wireless triggering, which is invaluable. I sold my Nikon speedlight simply because never used it on-camera, and it lacked the ability to remotely control flash power.

Sometimes I test my SB-910 by shooting heavily backlit scenes or pop in manual fill flash of a subject that's a bit far by dialing the flash head out to a 200mm pattern, things my built-in flash could never manage. D600.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back