SB700 for a D5000?

Nkray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Quick question, will the SB700 work on my D5000?

Both on the camera and remote?

Any other suggestions other than the SB700?

This is my first flash and would like to stick w/ Nikon.

Thanks,
Nick

The SB700 will work just fine with your D5000, however as the D5000 lacks a "Commander" mode, remote triggering (unless you buy a separate trigger) will require using the camera's pop-up flash to trigger via the speedlight's built in optical sensor.

Trick question. Any of the Nikon flashes will work with any of the nikon cameras. Remote simply depends on a way to fire it.

Thanks for the advice.. as long as I have it camera mounted there should be no issue, correct?

Just need some mods for non-attachment correct?

thx
Nick

Trick question. Any of the Nikon flashes will work with any of the nikon cameras. Remote simply depends on a way to fire it.

Technically, any of the iTTL Nikon flashes will work on any of the Nikon iTTL cameras.

(well, maybe that is not quite true - the SB-300, SB-400, SB-500 will have issues with older iTTL camera models, designed before ever hearing of these flashes special needs).

Older Non-iTTL flashes (for D-TTL or film TTL, not sold anymore) will not do TTL on todays iTTL cameras.

Two older CLS flashes (SB-600 and SB-800) were also backward compatible with any older cameras using D-TTL or film TTL (could do anything any camera could do), but current production flashes only do iTTL. Look for the keyword iTTL.

Thanks for the advice.. as long as I have it camera mounted there should be no issue, correct?

Just need some mods for non-attachment correct?

thx
Nick

Sure, the SB-700 is a natural for any of the Nikon iTTL cameras, including the D5000.

It is very pricey however. $99 choices like the Yongnuo YN565EX work well too. Amazon, this is a Chinese import with no US warranty.

I think the reason the SB-700 flash isn't listed on pages 198 to 201 of the D5000 user manual is because the SB-700 became available after the D5000.

The SB-700 has SU-4 mode, so it can be triggered off the camera by the flash of light from any other flash unit, as long as the window on the SB-700 that detects the flash of light can 'see' the light.

I have the SB700 and it works well with a D5100 and a D7000, I see no reason why it wouldn't work with a D5000

Most reactions

New Topics

Back