Sb800 auto zoom issue?

Mach0

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I pretty much use the flash in manual mode but something I thought wasnt right. When used on my camera with a 35-70 and zoomed out to 70mm, the flash only zooms to 60. Anyone have this issue? Is this normal? I'm kinda stumped.

Anyone? It's only on my 35-70. I used it on another lens and it was fine up to it's max of 105 and it was correct. On the 35-70@ 70, the flash reads 60mm.

yes, my zoom ratio hasn't been working at all. It's been going to like 8mm or 11mm when I'm using my 80-200, I tried changing it to DX>FX and vice versa, no luck. May try to reset my settings if not I'm going to call nikon or contact them.

P.S. I have the 700!

Last edited:
412 Burgh said:
yes, my zoom ratio hasn't been working at all. It's been going to like 8mm or 11mm when I'm using my 80-200, I tried changing it to DX>FX and vice versa, no luck. May try to reset my settings if not I'm going to call nikon or contact them.

P.S. I have the 700!

It's a af-d as well? It's driving me up the wall. I don't really use it as much since I was bouncing flash but nonetheless, I am wondering if I should call KEH. I already reset the flash and it was still the same. It worked perfectly with a 55-200 afs.

412 Burgh said:

P.S. I have the 700!

It's a af-d as well? It's driving me up the wall. I don't really use it as much since I was bouncing flash but nonetheless, I am wondering if I should call KEH. I already reset the flash and it was still the same. It worked perfectly with a 55-200 afs.

Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8
AF-D NIKKOR ED

^^ it doesn't even work with my 50....
:grumpy:

412 Burgh said:
Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8
AF-D NIKKOR ED
^^ it doesn't even work with my 50.... :grumpy:

That stinks. I'm stumped. It's my only af-d lens. I'm wondering it it's my flash or camera not communicating.

I may try cleaning the connector prongs to see if there is a miscommunication between the two. Doubt it will solve it though. :meh:

412 Burgh said:
I may try cleaning the connector prongs to see if there is a miscommunication between the two. Doubt it will solve it though. :meh:

I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Anyone else?

check page 26 of the manual. Autozoom should kick into gear for any CPU lens (including D types and even non-Nikon) out to a focal length of 105mm. Also check your LCD screen on the flash. At the bottom where you see the word ZOOM, you don't want a letter 'M' (for manual) appearing above it.

Then check your settings on the strobe. Hit the MENU button to pull up your choices for configuring it. There is one for ZOOM, but I'm kind of new to DSLR and the SB 800. Cleaning the contact leads on body and lens couldn't hurt.

bravozulu said:
check page 26 of the manual. Autozoom should kick into gear for any CPU lens (including D types and even non-Nikon) out to a focal length of 105mm. Also check your LCD screen on the flash. At the bottom where you see the word ZOOM, you don't want a letter 'M' (for manual) appearing above it.

Then check your settings on the strobe. Hit the MENU button to pull up your choices for configuring it. There is one for ZOOM, but I'm kind of new to DSLR and the SB 800. Cleaning the contact leads on body and lens couldn't hurt.

Thanks . I will check it out later.

Ooops. There is no MENU button on the SB 800. Instead you hold the SEL button for 4 seconds and a gridwork of MENU items appears on the LCD screen. You scroll through them, choosing one by tapping the SEL button briefly. Then you can change the options in that one control screen.

bravozulu said:
Ooops. There is no MENU button on the SB 800. Instead you hold the SEL button for 4 seconds and a gridwork of MENU items appears on the LCD screen. You scroll through them, choosing one by tapping the SEL button briefly. Then you can change the options in that one control screen.

Thank you. If there's any issue, I'll prob send it back to KEH or just buy an sb900 for on camera use and retire the sb800 for off camera lol.

Here's some more important info on the SB 800. Don't send it back just yet. The Instruction Manual published by Nikon is misleading. Probably because of terminology. AutoZoom on the flash is controlled by the MENU in the LCD screen, as I stated. But when you access the Zoom Menu, the two options of ON and OFF react axxx-backwards from what you would think. Moreover, I was incorrect when I said look for an M above the word ZOOM at the bottom of the LCD screen.

M is always there, but when AutoZoom is disabled, a small 'X' preceeds the word ZOOM. But here's the real twist. When you reach those two options in the AutoZoom Menu, OFF is the one you want. OFF enables AutoZoom. ON shuts it off and pops the X in the LCD Screen. Crazy, huh. AutoZoom works by disabling the rocker switch zoom function --- you know, the clear plastic rocker switch with 3 trees on the left (for wide) and 1 tree on the right (for tele). In other words, you need to turn off the rocker switch zoom control to enable the lens to match FOV with flash coverage. It can only be one or the other. The Zoom Menu decides which. Off is for Lens, On is for rocker switch control.

So, here's what to do:
a) Press and hold SEL for 4 seconds
b) When the Setup Menus appear on the LCD, scroll up-down/L-R to get to ZOOM.
c) Hit the SEL button to open the Zoom menu.
d) When you hit the SEL button, you will see up/down arrows that toggle between the two settings. You want OFF. This switches off PowerZoom and enables AUTOZoom, which responds to signals from your lens.
e) Tap the ON/OFF button to view the LCD control settings. The 'M' should not have a 'X' to the left. Your lens should now control zooming out to 105mm.

Go to Amazon.com and order the Nikon CLS Lighting book by Mike Hagen (RockyNook publishers). It will load some bullets in your gun as far as strobe shooting goes.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back