Scaning Black&white pictures

gendarmee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there!

I had a job to do, some thing which i have been procrastinating from over 4 years...now i have the time to do it, so i dont want to let this opportunity go.

Last edited:
--A whacky attempt was to snap a picture of the picture with macro at the tele end of the G9, after sticking the picture on the wall, but i just cant get the orientation of the camera right for that. tried that oz i found scans a little grainy.

Would really appreciate help:hail:

That is how it was done before scanner. You would use a copy stand with lights. They still use then but most for artwork.

Not sure about your scanner you may just need to try and try again till you get what you need. Do test with pro scanner and home scanner see how the two look.

4211.jpg

I just visited my father to copy some of the family snapshots. I brought along a laptop with XP and a old HP printer/scanner 1350. Most of the pictures I was interested in were small (2x3, 3.5x5") so I copied them on the highest dpi I could. I used 1200 and 2400 dpi so I could enlarge them a bit. I scanned without any adjustments first, then adjusted the contrast and brightness (if needed) for a backup copy. I think the scanner was only 600 dpi (hardware) but interpolated (sp?) up to 2400dpi. The results were not bad at all. Use a scanner if you can, and use the highest dpi you can if the originals are small. The files end up kind of large, but you can always resize them later.
...Terry
ps. I'm surpised you are having trouble with a hp 1300 series psc and XP. I just downloded the drivers from HP and used scanner/camera wizard to scan

If you have a decent enough home scanner it will do you fine. If you don't need to enlarge the pictures, then 3 - 400 dpi is fine. If you want to make enlargements, then I would suggest going as high as the scanner will let you. Although you might need som pretty powerfull hardware for that operation, as Xp especially has a tendency to take ages processing scans above 600dpi.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back