Scanned pics taken with my dad's Leica M5

Thank you so much for your comments, I appreciate each and every one of them. Meanwhile one more Ilford-film has been filled (apart from the one that I am having here and yet have to scan) and two more regular colour Fuji ones (not even the best Fuji film) ... I must economise on the costs for processing just a bit, and black and white is almost 40 times dearer than having colour film processed :shock: !!! So I thought I might want to put in the colour film and get the print for 1 cent each, instead of 39 ct/print in black and white :shock: :er: :confused: :( .

Mysteryscribe, you are very right about the need to frame with care.
Being used to using a zoom lens, I also find it quite "retro" (;)) having to step back or forward so and so many paces to get the frame I want instead of just zooming :D. Good and interesting experience.

About the ones you are seeing here I must say I really and honestly only tested the camera on whatever motif there was (hence the stairs PLUS the fence and the cars ... I would have zoomed those out if I had had the chance, for example ;)). I was also testing in how far it would be possible to bring out different greys for shades of green. Tuna has shown such nice black and white photos with perfect tones ... Trickier than I thought!

And :blushing: ... one more thing: only AFTER I had finished this roll did I ask my sister "By the way, WHERE does that little 'finger' have to be? Before or behind the diagonal line? (That's me asking how to properly meter with that camera, you see?)" and she said: "Hey, no: they must form a perfect CROSS, then you got exposure right!" Ooops! :oops:

:lol::lol::lol:

Very nice for your first outing with the Leica. There is something almost spiritual about black & white film and vintage classic cameras. I picked up an old Voigtlander but it needs cleaning and adjusting so I've never used it. Keep shooting away...
BTW, in #2, does Speicher mean anything in particular? My last name is Speicher and I've been given several definitions as to its origin. Just curious.
Dave

A "Speicher" is a warehouse.
These buildings once used to be warehouses. Today it is a restaurant and pub - and there is a café in the adjacent building. "Warehouse" also translates into "Lagerhaus", but "Speicher" and "Lagerhaus" practically mean the same in German.
Ah, and I must let TPF be for a while and scan in my newest examples now :D. After all this response I am beginning to feel downright BOLD :lol:

My fav is #1. The rest I'm really not sure about. Composition is good, I'm really not sure what's missing for me.

Sorry I can't give more feedback, but I really love #1.

Cool. Thanks for loving Photo 1 :biggrin:

Gives me a warm glow all over :goodvibe:

And like I have said many times now: these were just tests. I was almost shaking with awe and nervousness, and took AGES in setting things, when I took these!

New examples soon to come (they have been scanned by now).

Good grief! I love the shots, Corinna! Never doubt a Leica's ability to capture the mid-tones and show the details so well! What lens(es) did you use?

Just the Summicron 35mm (I think it is)... must go pick up the camera to study the lens... that thing around it to keep out the direct sun says it fits on both 35 and 50mm, and the lens itself... reads ... AH!
Now I see it: it reads "Summicon 1:2 35" There is the 35 I needed. So it is the 35mm prime lens.

LaFoto said:
Just the Summicron 35mm (I think it is)... must go pick up the camera to study the lens... that thing around it to keep out the direct sun says it fits on both 35 and 50mm, and the lens itself... reads ... AH!
Now I see it: it reads "Summicon 1:2 35" There is the 35 I needed. So it is the 35mm prime lens.

There you go! Summicron 35/2 is one of the best lenses ever! Period! Do you have any idea how much is it worth? About 850 Euros or over $1,000! And that's only the lens.

Go have fun with it, we want more Leica pics. :)

Oh! :oops: Never knew what treasure I was having here now....... :blushing:

And there are a couple more Leica-pics floating about the board now ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back