Scanner problem! Any ideas?

RebelTasha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have the Epson 4490 I have scanned a lot of negatives since I got this scanner a month or two ago.
Havn't had any issues until today it was 21 days since I last used it..
I picked up negatives today and 95% of them scanned with this line through the middle..
After I kept re putting them in the holder they eventually came out ok but I did get the same result a few times even after changing their position.
140142.jpg

Any ideas? :(
After I turned it off for half an hour and went back and did say 2 it seemed ok but it could have been a coincidence.

I took the pictures with my Canon AE-1 and the negatives look fine you can see from my AE-1 album that the cat ended up coming out ok after a few tries.
http://public.fotki.com/CanonGirl/vintage-canon-ae-1-/

Maybe posting a blowup of the affected area would help...

Maybe posting a blowup of the affected area would help...

I wasnt' sure how to do that like I've seen some people do so I just trimmed it around the area..
045634.jpg

I have this picture too that shows it. It's an out of focus tree so please not for critique.. :sexywink:
b_131711.jpg

As for Newtons Rings "dj" I'm thinking that may have been it, I was pretty sure the negatives I have been scanning from 10 years ago or more would have been in worse condition than the ones I picked up the other day all fresh.

However, upon looking through the shoe box last night and rescanning some older ones they are dead flat and the ones I picked up the other day had a curve to them (yes I was using the holder).
I flattened the curve under a dictionary and it seems to not affect the images now..

Yes this is a curvature of the negitive showing during scanning, it's called lateral curl.

I can't remember the solution off hand but I'll look for it. Try mounting the negitive in the holder backwards.

I did try them upside down and they were fine but then I was worried that it would affect the picture quality, would it? Or would it just be like a mirror on the wrong side?
I tried mounting them in the holder tighter and trying to get rid of the curve but it didnt' help.
Until I literally flattened them with a heavy book.
I just assumed since my other negatives were so much older I figured they would have been curved too so I thought the scanner had issues rather than the negatives, it wasnt' until last night when I went through them that I saw the older ones were very flat.
Thanks for your help and I would be interested if you find any ideas on the curve, I have only developed two rolls of film from the AE-1 and I plan to do a lot more with it.

I did try them upside down and they were fine but then I was worried that it would affect the picture quality, would it? Or would it just be like a mirror on the wrong side?
I tried mounting them in the holder tighter and trying to get rid of the curve but it didnt' help.
Until I literally flattened them with a heavy book.
I just assumed since my other negatives were so much older I figured they would have been curved too so I thought the scanner had issues rather than the negatives, it wasnt' until last night when I went through them that I saw the older ones were very flat.
Thanks for your help and I would be interested if you find any ideas on the curve, I have only developed two rolls of film from the AE-1 and I plan to do a lot more with it.

Flattening them with a book was another one of the suggestions from the last time some asked about this very issue. Unfortunately I don't have the issue with mine so I am opperating on only what I have read from others on the forum.

As for scanning them from reversed position in the holder will result in the image being mirrored, I've done this intentionally on one occation If you don't want the mirror effect it's easily correctable in Photoshop

Most reactions

New Topics

Back