Scanner recommendations

Canuk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have just recently started back into film.
I would like to purchase a scanner that I can use to scan 35mm negatives as well as possibly some 120 in the future.
I have been looking at the CanoScan 9000f, it looks like a decent scanner for the price, but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this machine and can offer some insite.
Would also like to know of others recommendations of which scanners they prefer, keeping in a similar price point +/-$250.

Thanks in advance for your time.

I tried a search for info on scanners, but most of the posts were fairly old, so one would assume technology has improved since then.

Old threads? There's a scanner thread 3 posts down from this one...
there's also this one on page 3 of this forum..
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...3-scanning-negatives-what-do-you-use-why.html

but anyway, I don't have any experience with the Canoscans, but I use an Epson V700 and like it. It's a little more than your budget, but if you're serious about your scans, then the budget you have is too small IMO. I'd save a little more and get a good scanner. IMO, the scanner that I have is good, but still isn't 'amazing', those kinds of scanners are over $1200.. (nikon coolscans)

The only reason I put the budget in there was to compare apples to apples, so to speak.
But if the Epson scanners are that much better it will definitely be something to look at. I don't mind spending the $$ for something that will last or do a better job.
Thanks for the advice.

I have a Canonscan (only scans 35mm) lower than the one you are looking at and it seems to give a magenta cast (could be my fault but don't get it with Epson), but i have just bought an Epson V500 after reading the reveiws couldn't stretch to V750

Yes the v700 is the one for 120. BUT, check out www.betterscanning.com for their superior film holders. Also, it's great for 120 and large format but I think you'll really like the plustek 7600i for 35mm.

Most reactions

Back