Scanning 35mm films

Well I faild, the light was still too intense with a lot of improv attempts this was the best I could do trying to emulate a back light

scan0038.jpg

you are better off scanning the negs as a normal pic and comprimise with the film color or scan the prints, I can't think of anything else

Well I faild, the light was still too intense with a lot of improv attempts this was the best I could do trying to emulate a back light

scan0038.jpg

you are better off scanning the negs as a normal pic and comprimise with the film color or scan the prints, I can't think of anything else

just to be theurough those negs are fine here is one of the scanned prints

scan0076.jpg

Hmm, I'll try messing around with it again tonight. I'm not sure how yours came out all liney and stuff.

I pressed preview scan, then I went into the settings and turned the brightness all the way up. Then I opened it in PS and adjusted contrast, etc. and used the healing brush on the dirt in the sky.

I'm still not pleased with the results. Small picture, really grainy for FP4, and extremely high contrast.

From what i've seen with film scanning, with a few exceptions, unless you have a dedicated film scanner like a nikon coolscan, other scanners pick up the grains of the film like mad. My Epson 4490 photo has done a terrific job for me however, which is a flatbed style scanner with trans. lid. I usually can get a decent print of up to about 11x14 to 16x20 (no, not razor sharp, but framed and hung on a wall looks very nice) out of 35mm.

The way trans. lids work is the light source moves with the scanning device at the same location and speed, insuring the exact same amount of light over the entire surface. That's why just holding a light above the scanner is difficult because most light sources will taper off to the sides, causeing bright centers and dark edges.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back