Scanning B+W Film - Colour wrong and poor quality

benjyman345

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi,

I have a Canon 5200F flatbed film scanner.

When I scan Black and White film the images always come out with a purple tinge and the quality is very poor. I don't have the same problem with colour film.

The image has very little detail after being scanned.

How do i resolve/fix this?
Also... is there another software for my scanner that has more options and better control? (the software I got came with my scanner)

Thanks

Why not scan the the original B&W in color. It will still look black and white, of course, but will have full resolution and bit depth. Then you can convert it to a monochrome image in the post process. That may work or may not but it doesn't take much to try it.

Benjy you might try Vuescan, a lot of people use that. Personally I found the Canon software more convenient, but it does take a bit of tweaking - try playing around with all the options, and enable the advanced settings (sorry I can't remember how to do that right now, but the Help function should explain)

Also make sure the negatives are properly mounted within their holders. If they have alot of curvature, put them inside a heavy book and let them sit for a night to flatten them a bit. Scanners require that the negatives are a particular distance from the scanning glass.

Film scanners are designed to scan chromogenic films and often have problems with silver films. Turn off as much dust correction software, etc... as you can. Even then you will have to work on the scan in Photoshop or whatever software you are using.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back